_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/200 Nachimo Shiranui
rolf
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 04:11 PM UTC
I just recently purchased this kit and was wondering about a few things. 1. Is there any detail sets for this kit?
2. The nonskid detail on the deck looks really overscale to me, is this correct or do I need to fix this?

Thanks a bunch.

Roy
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 04:45 PM UTC
Hi Roy

As for detail sets, I know that Gold Metal Models have some 1/200 PE Sets, ment for Yamato and Musashi (also from Nichimo) but if you check your references, probably some things may serve to the Shiranui

http://www.goldmm.com/ships/gms2ordr.htm

The least that you can do is acquire the raillings it it will give another look to it

The anti skid oversacle issue, since I never seen this model in my hand, I cannot say for sure... but if it is like the anti skid on my Nichimo I-19 submarine I can say that it looks a "little" overscale - but I can live with that amd trying to scale it down, probably will make more damage to the suyrronding areas - just my 2 (euro) cents!

Skipper
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 315 posts
Model Shipwrights: 145 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 11:08 PM UTC
Hey Roy,

The anti-skid on the Nichimo DDs is actually pretty close. Contrary to popular belief, the pattern was not intended to replicate standard treadplate. Instead, it's actually strips of metal bolted to the lino decks. These strips are (if I remember correctly) 8-10 inches in length.

I have drawings at home I can scan if you like, just drop me a note.

As for details, Tom's Modelworks and Gold Medal Models both did detail sets. The GMMM set I believe is out of production, while the Tom's set is still available. You can also get away with using 1/192 PE details as well, since the percentage difference between the two is negligible.

Regards,

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP