_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/35 LCA by F.M
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 09:58 PM UTC
Greetings all,

I know you told me not to buy this kit but unfortunately it was already ordered when our last discussion took place. (At least I got it in a sale and even that seems too much given the poor casting and content). However, I enjoyed the LCVP so much I just had to build another!!

It has as you said many , many, many short comings, but after much filing, cutting, filling, cursing (ha ha) and head scratching, the basic kit has come together and at this point actually doesn't loot too bad, at least is roughly the right shape!!!

My question is has anyone else built this kit. The intsructions are just about readable and I'm looking for tips on fixing the ramp and the cable/rope running from it. (not than any was provided in the kit).

There is an unhelpful diogram at stage 8. I've been looking for a picture of the ramp and or scale drawing but haven't been able to find one yet. There is also a winch positioned at the stern of the boat.. Does anyone know if this is part and connected to the ramp system?

It's a matter of getting down to the finer details now and with some patience this might turn out a reasonable model. That said I wouldn't recomment it, the hull is so thickly cast that none of the parts really want to fit in it!!!!

I'm using the paint scheme suggested for British LCI in the Italeria kit as the box art looks c**p. Does anyone know if the propellors would have been made of brass or steel?

Strangely despite being able to find many references to the craft and even the specification I haven't yet located any decent pictures to refer to.

As always you help will be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Al

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 08:02 PM UTC
Hi Alan

My own F.M. LCA is still unwrapped in the stash, so I cannot give you proper details on the Ramp assembly...

But perhaps this Fonderie Miniatures Walkaround may help (on the ramp issue and also on the winch):

LCA Walkaround

Hope this helps

Skipper
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 08:22 PM UTC
Thanks again Skipper this will be very useful.

The hull is so badly cast it causes a lot of problems during assembly. I had to support the flooring with balsa to get it to sit at the right level and had to build the bow section first in order to get the rest to fit. The stern plate required a lot of filling to get it to fit. I would have liked to have added supporting structure of some kind behind the seats but didn't really know where to start. Fitting the o rings for the side rope was a real test!!!

That said I'm actually quite please with the result so far, it's an unusual craft.

Al

Later - It's a pity most of the bow fittings are missing but it has helped with placing some of the items for the ramp and I should be able to make a reasonable attempt at it next.

On another subject any idea how I might weather the bottom edge of the hull to show the effects of the sea? I've never tried anything like this before.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 09:08 PM UTC
Skipper,

Just for info - I've been studying the walk around and having a look at my kit.

As I said I had thought about adding the support hull structure in balsa but didn't have a clear idea how it might look. There is a reasonable picture in one of the walk around photos.

I fixed the upper deck yesterday and when I was building it I thought that because of the large deck overhang on each side it wouldn't matter about the hull structure as it wouldn't be seen. However, now I've set it on a higher shelf the internal hull is clealy visible, so big mistake on my part but as I'm not about to rip it off again I'll just have to live with it.

This might be a point to consider when you get around to your own kit.

Seating - 4 benches are provided and some long thin plastic strips to cut the feet from. There are dozens of feet and unless you have some kind of highly accurate cutting tool this would be quite an achievement. I used 2 of the benches to cut supports from and this has worked well and looks fine as by using the cut sections on their side it also placed the two benches installed an appropriate distance from the hull sides. (Not sure if this makes sense but it worked for me).

Al
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 09:34 PM UTC
Hi Alan

Glad the link helped
Also notice the propelers - they are steel

As for the WL weather effect, check Tommaso LCVP for reference - it is very very convincing!!

Do you have an airbrush?

Skipper
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 10:02 PM UTC
Hi Skipper,

Yep noticed the propellors, thanks.

No airbrush, by hand only. Yes, Tommaso's LCVP looks great - hence my question (ha ha).

Al
 _GOTOTOP