_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
PHOTOS: WALKAROUND
  USS Massachusetts BB-59
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 10:33 PM UTC
Hi all

A big Thank You, Sir must go to Mr. Jonathan Bloom for alow me to post his pictures of USS Massachusetts, a South Dakota Class Battleship, the main atraction of Battleship Cove - MA, USA.

For details, specs and active duty history regarding "Big Mamie" visit:

Historic Naval Ships Association

To see Battleship Cove Museum and it''s exhibitions and activities

Battleship Cove Museum

Skipper

Gallery pictures USS Massachusetts BB-59

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2006 - 03:54 AM UTC
She's a fine lady. My computer's wall paper is actually a photo of my wife and I taken on the bow of the ship looking back towards the big guns.

As a tin can sailor, I just couldn't fathom how big this ship was and how thick its steel is.

I'd also like to let you know that there is a fantastic model display inside the ship. Most of the ship is a museum now and a fine job they did with it.

If your a history buff, or you just want to experience a taste of what it could have been like on a ship of this magnitude, I highly recommend dropping by and seeing all there is to see in Battleship Cove.

You won't regret it.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2006 - 05:40 AM UTC
Yes, I must agree with you

My only regret is that I was "so near" to Battleship Cove (I was in Boston) and didn't get the chance to visit it.
And going to Boston again, isn't properly around the corner... Although I had a good time taking photos on USS Constitution and in USS Cassin Young - after all, we were docked in the same pier, and it was great to be next to those two history landmarks and been guided by a Cassin Young Veteran!!

I would like to Thank Mr. Jonathan Bloom again for giving us the chance of sharing his photos with modelers around the world that don't have the chance to go to Battleship Cove.

Do you have any photos that you would like to share and update the gallery?

Skipper
 _GOTOTOP