_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Painting wood effect on brass PE decks
garym
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 01:34 AM UTC
Hi all, help please at my wits end, I am building 1/72 Revell Flower Class Corvette using PE parts, realy struggling to paint the decks to make them look authentic. I seem to get the desired effect and the slightest scratch and the paint comes off despite using a sealer. Am using Tamiya acrylic paints........................help please this is a real problem guys.

Gary
SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 235 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 02:31 AM UTC
Was the PE primed (both sides) before you mounted it?

Try an automotive acrylic primer if its not too late and prime both sides of the PE.

Martyn
garym
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 02:45 AM UTC
Hi Martyn, thanks for the reply, the short answer was yes not sure if acrylic on not, got it from the local hardware store. The problem being that I would like to see the outline of the deck planks through paint, to scared to spray the primer on to thick, any answers would be most helpfull.

Take care Gary
SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 235 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 03:40 AM UTC
Is the paint and primer coming off?

If its both.. washing the brass with some form of degreaser or dishsoap first would help. I have the brass decks for the 1/72 sub to do soon, they are slightly oxidized and I haven't even opened the package yet. I intend on washing them and using auto primer on them, I might take some fine wet/dry sandpaper and scuff them slightly too.

Dunno what else to tell you.

Martyn
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 05:43 PM UTC
Hi Gary and Martin

A good way of making the PE "accept" primer and pain is... washing it with vinager!
The accid will clean the PE without damaging it.

After this use a good primer - I usually use Tamiya Grey primer, and the paint (enamel or acrilic, depending on the project) with success.

Skipper
garym
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 01:46 AM UTC
Martyn, Skipper, many thanks for the advice, I will try the vinegar trick. it realy is frustrating atempting to cover the brass but leave the planks outlined. As a matter of interest which tamiya colours would you recommend to simulate weathered wooden decks circa ww2.
Gary
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 02:08 AM UTC
hi Gary, just got your email (will reply to that in a while, pretty busy right now).

Just wanted to say welcome to Armorama!
 _GOTOTOP