_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
ScrambleNets
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 09:14 PM UTC
Hello again,

Has anyone ever made scramble nets for any of their ships? I was thinking of making one for the side of my LCM (3) and wondered what thoughts you might have?

I suppose I should lay out a grid and had thought of stitching the ropes together and then adding a drop pf sper glue to each join, but this seemed like hard work.

Any thoughts? What I really need is a kind Aunty!!!

Thanks

Al
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 09:48 PM UTC
Hi Alan

There are some camo nets that could be used for your nets. It really depends if your going to place them folded or unfolded!

I must agree that a kind and willingly helpfull ol'Lady would help a lot here! :-)

Skipper
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 10:12 PM UTC
A while back somebody did a cargo net for the Italeri Duck that I bet the same technique would work. I'll see if I can find it.

mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Model Shipwrights: 65 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 11:51 PM UTC
I would think that bandage gauze would work in that scale...you could stretch it to shape. Haven't tried it myself, but it sounds good to me...

Mike
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 12:20 AM UTC
Hi Skipper and Rodger,

Thanks for your ideas. I was thinking about it while I was eating my dinner, as you do.

I have an old camo net from my army days somewhere, if i cut a suitable size piece - stretch it between 4 nails and paint it with PVA to stiffen it up, then paint it, that might work.

Another thought was an old string vest, although I haven't seen one in years , that would also possibly work, if it were a childs one.

Some experimentation is obviously required.

Thanks again.

Al

Update: Later that evening. Have tried the old camo net - results look positive, just waiting for it to dry and then cut to size.

Thanks all.

Al
 _GOTOTOP