_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
20mm Cannon for LCM - Warning
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 02:35 AM UTC
Greeting all,

If you're thinking of adding 20mm cannon to you LCM (3) - don't. Overall length of weapon too long for practical use on craft.

I wish I'd know this before I bought them!! Howevver, we live and learn!!

Have fun

Al

Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 315 posts
Model Shipwrights: 145 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 03:19 AM UTC
Hi Al,

Something I've not given much thought to, but I don't recall ever seeing a Oerlikon on an LCM-3, the naval mount was much to large and heavy for that particular craft, especially the solid, early base. I'll look through my photo collection and see what I can find for you.

Jeff
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 04:03 AM UTC
Hi Jeff,

Your right, it wouldn't have been able to mount a 20mm. Unfortunately I only found this out after I purchased the Kit.

I eventually found some pictures of the LCM (3)in use by the RN and I can't see any type of armourment on them at all.

I had posted a couple of threads airing the idea that I had but as I got no 'don't do this' type reply I went ahead and bought the kits.

I know the 20mm was widely used by the RN so it was a wrong assumption on my part that it might have logically been used on the LCM.

You know 'Murphays Law' well it just struck again!!

All the best.

Al

NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
Model Shipwrights: 53 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 04:50 AM UTC
I'm sure I read somewhere that the French riverine LCM-3's in SE Asia had a 20mm Oerlikon mounted near the stern....?
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 06:09 AM UTC
Hi Alan, Jeff, Bob and all

RN WWII, possibly not
But impossible? No!
Portuguese LCM's had Oerlikons with the Naval mount, in the end of the cargo area. An extra steel plate was mounted so that the naval mount could be instaled.
This meant that less cargo could be transported, but a bigger fire power was a good advantage on the rivers of Guinea-Bissau, Angola and Mozambique in the "Portuguese Colonial War" 1960'-1974

I 'll check for my references, scan a couple of pictures and post them

Skipper
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 06:43 AM UTC
Hi Jeff, Bob and Skipper,

Thanks for the replies.

Given the area of the deck available infront of the wheel house the only way to fit these would be as Skipper suggested - extended/strengthened deck thereby reducing the cargo area. It's possible this might have been done but probably not during the period I'm modelling the craft in. (RN WW2 -D Day)

I can certainely see more fire power being used in Indochina.

Not to worry, I didn't realise how much area would be necessary for the guns to swivel, it's hard to judge just from a picture of a kit.

I might just use a vickers MG behind some sandbags or fill the area with figures or boxes.

Skipper - the scramble net worked out a treat, I might even make two!!!

Any info or pictures you might have/find would be much appreciated. All of the snaps I've come across so far show the LCM (3) in use in the North Africian/Italian campaigns.

Al

_GOTOTOP