_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
HMS Campanula - latest update
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 05:14 PM UTC
Been off the site for a while as work has been rather hectic, but have at last managed to get my corvette a step closer to completion. She's now fully rigged, using lycra threads and the BECC model flags that I reviewed a few weeks ago.

More pics in the gallery.

Only snag I've run into is that due to the angle of the signal lanyards and the weight of the flags themselves, all the flags naturally hang in toward the centre-line of the ship... In reality they should of course all be blowing in the same direction with the wind. Anyone have an idea of how I can persuade them to hang properly?
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 05:21 PM UTC
Graham, that looks totally outstanding.
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 05:32 PM UTC
Thanks Have to say that the lycra thread makes the whole thing a cinch to do in fact. I used wire for some of the earlier rigging, funnel stays and so on, and the lycra is FAR easier to manage
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 11:20 PM UTC
First of all I think the ship looks fantastic. I remember you posted once asking about what flag hoist to fly. What do those flags spell out?

As to getting the flags to hang properly the only thing I can think of is to use some kind of glue or such to make the flags stiff, then orient them the way you want them to go.

Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 11:26 PM UTC
Yes, I considered that - in fact they already have a coat of diluted white glue to stiffen them. The problem is that the lycra threads themselves are, by their nature, very flexible, and so gravity naturally pulls all the flags to the centre-line.

The hoist spells...

'Cruel Sea' 'K18'
and then a touch of vanity 'Rip'!
 _GOTOTOP