_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Submarine question...
Holocaust59
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 113 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 08:46 AM UTC
I wondered if anyone might know the answer to this. I had a tour around a German U-Boat which had been raised recently (which was cool). It was at the Birkenhead Warship preservation trust (Liverpool). Some of the conning tower had been rebuilt during restoration and the periscopes looked really shiny, almost like chrome, is this correct? I should have asked at the time but didn't!!
I am currently building a 1/125 scale Type Vll U-Boat and I was wondering if it would be accurate to paint the periscopes like that. All the reference pics I have are in b&w so it's hard to tell whether that would be correct.
Some of the pics I have seem to indicate that it would be correct to do that.
Any help would be appreciated.
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 04:25 AM UTC
Well, not being uch of a submarine expert, I would think in terms of common sense.
Would the German Kreigsmarine want Periscopes that would reflect the sun and draw attention? I think not. I could be wrong though...
Andrew

Cob
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 64 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 04:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wondered if anyone might know the answer to this. I had a tour around a German U-Boat which had been raised recently (which was cool). It was at the Birkenhead Warship preservation trust (Liverpool). Some of the conning tower had been rebuilt during restoration and the periscopes looked really shiny, almost like chrome, is this correct? I should have asked at the time but didn't!!
I am currently building a 1/125 scale Type Vll U-Boat and I was wondering if it would be accurate to paint the periscopes like that. All the reference pics I have are in b&w so it's hard to tell whether that would be correct.
Some of the pics I have seem to indicate that it would be correct to do that.
Any help would be appreciated.

In general, the periscope barrel would be chrome-plated. It penetrates the hull and the best way to get a water-tight seal is a smooth surface. The upper portion of the scope (in the sail) would be painted - either black, grey, or some type of camoflage pattern (grey with black splotches is what the US applies). I will try to find some more specific info on U-boat scopes and post.
v/r,
Cob
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Model Shipwrights: 54 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 04:39 AM UTC
I believe that the inside shaft that controls the periscope was chrome. In fact on most subs they are like this.....

Here in Canada, both our old Oberon Subs and the new British Diesels that we are getting both have this. It is for a smooth surface for the perisope tubes to rise up and down on. The Chrome isn't visible on the outside of the boat, its only within the ship.
Holocaust59
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 113 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2002 - 03:56 AM UTC
Thanks to all who responded with info. Just goes to show you can't always trust what you see when it's been 'restored'.
 _GOTOTOP