_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Airfix 1/72 E-boat
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 06:10 AM UTC
Okay I know it's not a great kit, but just noticed that ModelsForSale have these at just £14 (half what Hannants are charging!)

Here's the link
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 06:17 AM UTC
I finally saw one of these at the LHS. So 14 pounds, that's about $21 usd, right? I think the LHS had it for about $25 so I guess they weren't too bad.

I can see now the differences between it and the Revell one. Totally different now I see them together.

geronimo
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 136 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 01:05 PM UTC
Graham, get it !!! In my LHS (on the continent) they really want 45.95€ for the kit ! On Ebay you might get it for 25-30€.

Frank
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 03:28 PM UTC
Bought one as soon as I saw it

I already have the Revell S-boat in the stash, thought the two would look nice alongside each other on the shelf. That reminds me, better put up some more shelves too!

Rodger - yours sounds like a good price, tempted? They are totally different classes, E-boat early war and less heavily armoured iirc.
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 05:46 PM UTC
Hi Graham

My local LHS has it is well at about $85.00 NZ which is a little high for such an old kit.

However I am contemplating it still purely out of "nostalgia" I loved it way back in the 70's. I think I will at the same time also order in the S 100 and the new Italerei kit.

I have previously raised a topic on this before and there was useful information offered by others.

I would value your opinion on the kit now you have invested in it if you are intending to build it real soon/or just opening the box to review its contents.

Regards

Sean
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 05:53 PM UTC
Hi Graham

Here is my forum post

Forum post

Regards

Sean
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 07:02 PM UTC
Hi Sean, thanks for that link. I'll give you the lowdown on the Airfix kit once I get the box opened - just waiting for the postman now...
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 03:17 AM UTC
Kit arrived very quickly (as usual) from ModelsForsale - I'm not affiliated to them in any way but tell it like it is, and they're good imho.

As you'd expect for a kit of this age some detail is a bit chunky (moulded on ropes on deck and so on) but some is very nice - rivet details and such like. There is some flash but nothing drastic and everything looks straight enough i.e. no warping or distortion. Haven't even tried a dry fit yet but overall looks like quite a lot of plastic for the money, and, with some work, should build into a nice model.

Hope that helps!
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 07:52 PM UTC
Hi Graham

Thanks for the feedback about the kit it is much appreciated.

I am contemplating getting the kit also from ModelsFor Sale and I value your feedback on them as well. At 14 quid equating to NZ $36.00 excluding postage etc it will still be a lot cheaper than $85.00 at my LHS so I am thinking very seriously of obtaining one from ModelsFor Sale.

I think I will contact them for an idea of postage charges and arrangements for an international order.

Thanks again.

Regards

Sean
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 10:08 PM UTC
Hi Sean

No ideas on the postage cost but I always pay them through Paypal, so actually getting the money to them won't be a problem.

Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 05:06 PM UTC
Hi Graham

Thanks I will contact them and get a quote for postage with and without insurance.

Regards

Sean
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:38 AM UTC
Graham, after seeing the great job on the Corvette, I'm looking forward to seeing this one done.

(I FOUND my long lost copy of Corvette K255.....
I'll have to watch it between naps.... )
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:53 AM UTC
Hi Dave. I must get her finished; have run into what I've found to be a common snag since I've got back into modelling. Namely that when a kit is approx 95% complete I find it very hard to do that last 5%, and always start something else (King George V in this case).

All that's really needed is to finish the rigging, odd paint touch-up here and there, and add the crew. Oh, then varnish her - quite a big job!

As for the E-boat, I'm looking forward to her. I think she'll be a pretty much OOB build, although I will scratch some details. Don't intend to add any AM stuff, don't imagine there is any to be had in any case. Then I have the Revell S-boat to display alongside her, which I have a WEM PE set for.

And finally the piece de resistance of this grand plan (which will most likely never come to fruition! :-) ) is to add the Revell U-boat with as much AM detail as I can lay my hands on! Will need to do some serious saving for that one...

Cheers
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 01:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Dave. I must get her finished; have run into what I've found to be a common snag since I've got back into modelling. Namely that when a kit is approx 95% complete I find it very hard to do that last 5%, and always start something else (King George V in this case).

Oh boy, oh boy, does THAT sound familiar. I can't count how many kits, including at least three ships, that I've got right now that fit that description. I'm trying my level best to not start anything new until I finish at least half of these. I won't, I won't, I won't. I should get a black board and write on it a 100 times, "I will not start a new kit until I finish an old kit."

I feel for you Ripster.
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 03:00 AM UTC
Glad it's not just me

Aside from Campanula, I also have:

1/16 German machine gunner, figure done but standing on a bare wooden base waiting for some groundwork

1/700 King George V - about 1/3 built I would guess

1/24 Airfix Bf 109, with engine finished and part of cockpit built

1/35 Schwimmwagen - vehicle finished but waiting for a driver and some cargo

Could be worse I suppose!!!
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 11:43 AM UTC
:-) I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with that 90-95% snag..... :-) seems it come up on just about everything I do......

Hmmmm perhaps it a fear of finishing ........

Oh thanks for that site, spend a while going through it, has a lot of kits you don't see or can find over here.
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 02:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh thanks for that site, spend a while going through it, has a lot of kits you don't see or can find over here.

No problem. Drop them an email if you have any queries, they're very helpful and quick to answer. Run by a chap called Vince
 _GOTOTOP