_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Titanic show on THC last night.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 11:41 PM UTC
Last night there was a new show on the Titanic shown on The HIstory Channel. It was hosted by the two divers who host Deep Sea Detectives and who wrote The Shadow Divers.

My wife and I have watched a number of shows on the Titanic, but we've been getting kind of tired with them. They are either examples of, what we consider, grave robbing, or they don't offer anything new. This one was a bit different.

spoiler alert. If you think you might want to watch this show and be surprised read no further.

In the show they were trying to investigate something seen on the ocen floor five years ago by another expedition. Another diver had seen what he described as "ribbons of steel" that looked like they had come from the bottom of the ship. The group was trying to prove, or disprove, a theory that they had that the ship had grounded on a ledge sticking out from the berg, as well as the side damage normally associated with her loss. What they found were two large chunks of hull bottom, that ran totally from side to side, from one bilge keel to the other. While it didn't totally prove that she ran aground on an ice ledge, it did seem to answer some questions as to exactly how, when, and where the ship broke in two.

It was pretty interesting stuff.

Of course they had to have the obligatory re-inactments, including scenes from the movie. They did have one living survivor, who was just a small child that night, and one relative of a survivor. Far as I was concerned they could have cut it down to 1 hour, instead of two, and just concentrated on finding the bottom pieces. Still it's worth a watch if they show it again.

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Model Shipwrights: 32 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 11:47 PM UTC
Rodger,

I watched part of it. Pretty interesting stuff, esp. the part the water coming up through the floor into the boiler room.

If you think about how far technology has advanced in the past century, it was less than 60 years from the Titanic sinking, which many people thought was due to mankind's technological arrogance, to man walking on the moon.

Shaun
 _GOTOTOP