_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
  Leyte Gulf 1944
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 09:49 PM UTC
Hi all

Osprey seems to have a perfect aligned mind set with our Warship Campaigns.Here is another book tuned with our October Campaign - Leyte Gulf!
Many thanks Mrs Ruth Gulpine and Osprey Publishing for the sample provided.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 10:13 PM UTC
Good review, Skip, Thanks!

Getting us all primed up for the NEXT Warship Campaign! This looks like it will make an excellent quick reference for those involved...(and also those who arent!)

Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 05:43 PM UTC
Yes Mark,

This could make a good decision helper on what model you are going to built and if you are going to make a dio!

I have a couple of ideas, like the Sinking of the USS Princeton
:)

Thanks for your comment

Skipper

EDITED by Skipper: Corrected a VERY BIG mistake on the name of the Carrier (I was writing on Leyte Gulf and thinking about Coral Sea - so can you guess the Carrier name?)
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 09:03 PM UTC
Though not meant for modelers there are some excellent books out on the battle itself from a historical perspective. Here are a few I can recommend.

Hoyt

Hoyt is very easy reading, almost a juvenile level, but he usually comes up with interesting stories. He's not above letting the facts stand in the way of a good story, so take some of his stories with a grain of salt. He also has a book just on the men of Gambier Bay. I haven't read it, but it's got pretty good reviews.

Cutler

This is an excellent overview of the entire naval battle. Cutler does a great job of making it interesting, and extremely well documented.

Last Stand

I can't recommend this one enough. It's a GREAT read, and is just a fabulous book.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 09:23 PM UTC
Hi Rodger

Thank you for your input (long time no see, btw)!
I haven't included any further readings, because the books that I have that mention Leyte Gulf are just chapters or scatered parts of the book, like Theodore Roscoe's United States Submarine Operations in World War II and United States Destroyer Operations in World War II.

Cutler's book is mentioned by Mr. Bernard Ireland further readings notes.

Thanks

Skipper
 _GOTOTOP