_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
NEWS
  DML's Latest 1/700 Warship - U.S.S. SAN Diego...
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Model Shipwrights: 171 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 01:50 PM UTC
Just posted, news of Dragon Models first ''Premium Edition'' Warship kit, the U.S.S. San Diego in 1/700th scale. Photo-Etch and new decals (for three of the San Diego''s ''incarnations'') are only a part of the package on offer...

The story and full images, can be seen:

1/700th Scale San Diego

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 04:13 PM UTC
This is very good news, indeed!
It's definitely refreshing to see DML reckognizing the desire from ship modelers to have the same calibre of kits that the treadheads are enjoying! "Premium Edition Kits"...excellent!! The details are very clean, and the inclusion of the PE and new decals is terriffic! Any ideas of what else Dragon may have up there sleeve in this department?? Thanks JIm, for this update!

Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 04:48 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing Jim

As usual you are doing a terrific job - and DML is start to make some really interesting multimedia models at accessible prices

Skipper
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 07:20 PM UTC
Ahoy mates!
After reading Jim's NEWS of this exciting new kit, I poked around DRAGON HQ and found this really cool interactive photo of the kit's box contents...you can place the curser where you want to look and zoom in close...see what I'm talking about here

Thanks again Jim!

Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 07:49 PM UTC
Thanks Mark, it is really neat!

After reading and posting here, I satrted to thought that this may be a way of DML respond to MidshipModels USS Cleveland CL55...

Perhaps a comparison of both...

Skipper
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 08:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Mark, it is really neat!

After reading and posting here, I satrted to thought that this may be a way of DML respond to MidshipModels USS Cleveland CL55...

Perhaps a comparison of both...

Skipper

Interesting thought, my friend...I definitely am going to pick this new kit up and although I don't have Midship's kit, I wouldn't have a problem with picking that one up too! The Mrs. might, but hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 03:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I definitely am going to pick this new kit up and although I don't have Midship's kit, I wouldn't have a problem with picking that one up too!

Hey Gunny, when you get the San Diego, email me a pic of the Measure 12 camo and I'll add it to the inventory.

Kenny
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 03:36 AM UTC
This is really interesting news. I really like US cruisers, heck any cruisers, and the Atlantas, like the San Diego, were great ships. I don't know enough about the various ships in the class to know if the San Diego was different enough from the others that you couldn't build the Atlanta or Juneau from this kit.

I wonder about the inclusion of both 1.1 inch and 40mm. It was my understanding that the 40mm replaced the 1.1 inchers. I didn't think the same ship would have both at the same time. It really looks like DML did their homework on this so I'm sure they're right.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 06:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I definitely am going to pick this new kit up and although I don't have Midship's kit, I wouldn't have a problem with picking that one up too!

Hey Gunny, when you get the San Diego, email me a pic of the Measure 12 camo and I'll add it to the inventory.

Kenny

Done deal, Kenny!
I'll keep ya posted...
~Gunny
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 07:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is really interesting news. I really like US cruisers, heck any cruisers, and the Atlantas, like the San Diego, were great ships. I don't know enough about the various ships in the class to know if the San Diego was different enough from the others that you couldn't build the Atlanta or Juneau from this kit.

Atlanta, Juneau, San Diego and San Juan were very similar to each other. I don't know enough about the class to know what you need to do to make Atlanta or Juneau from a San Diego or San Juan, but the ships are very close. Starting with the Oakland, the waist 5 inch turrets were removed and replaced with 40mm quads.

Quoted Text

I wonder about the inclusion of both 1.1 inch and 40mm. It was my understanding that the 40mm replaced the 1.1 inchers. I didn't think the same ship would have both at the same time. It really looks like DML did their homework on this so I'm sure they're right.

There weren't enought 40mm guns to go around, so as they became available, they replaced 1.1 guns where they could. South Dakota had a mix of 40mm and 1.1 guns by the fall of 1942, and Hornet still shipped at least one 1.1 (on the bow) at the time of her loss.

Smaller ships like DE's ended up with 1.1 guns even into 1944 and 1945.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 12:02 AM UTC
Neat.... I want one of those should look nice along side a Essex class carrier.

Ciao
Luciano
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
Model Shipwrights: 58 posts
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 12:28 AM UTC
Nice Kit,,looks well done....1 problem though....its not 1/350 !!! Gimme just 1,,,,JUST 1 cruiser in 1/350 thats affordable (non-resin thank you).
 _GOTOTOP