_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Civilian Ships & Boats
Covers all non-sail civilian ships, craft, and boats.
Dunkirk Small Boats
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Friday, May 05, 2006 - 05:11 AM UTC
Greetings all,

I saw you post about a wooden ships campaign and it reminded me that I've been thinking about a Dunkirk type dio for some time. I came across the Artesania Latina 1/35 range of boats about 18 months ago and was wondering if you think one of these might be suitable for an English Fishing Boat?

I'm thinking the lower price range rather than the higher and had the Breman Krabben Kutter in mind as a possible boat. Would a boat like this have been around the south coast of England during this time or is it too far off the mark to be a possibility?

All manner of craft were used in the rescue of the troops from France so any thoughts would be much appreciated.

see:

http://www.netmerchants.co.uk/section.php/709/0

I've never build a wooden model unless you count balsa gliders and mine always crashed and never glided anywhere except straight down!! LOL

Cheers

Al

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, May 05, 2006 - 03:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Greetings all,

I saw you post about a wooden ships campaign and it reminded me that I've been thinking about a Dunkirk type dio for some time. I came across the Artesania Latina 1/35 range of boats about 18 months ago and was wondering if you think one of these might be suitable for an English Fishing Boat?

I'm thinking the lower price range rather than the higher and had the Breman Krabben Kutter in mind as a possible boat. Would a boat like this have been around the south coast of England during this time or is it too far off the mark to be a possibility?

All manner of craft were used in the rescue of the troops from France so any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Hi Alan!
Listen mate, I'm trying to help you find the historical answer here, not coming up with anything solid yet though...but I'm not giving up!

Quoted Text

I've never build a wooden model unless you count balsa gliders and mine always crashed and never glided anywhere except straight down!! LOL

Cheers

Al

Al, I don't know the level of your modeling skills, mate, but wooden ships can be a challenge, but if you take your time, and build carefully, you will be successful and the level of satisfaction when you are done with the build will be astronomical! The kit that you are refering to looks to be a fine one! I'll keep searching and maybe one of our major Historians here at MSW ( Hey Steve, you out there???) can give us some more solid input. Good Luck, Al, and if you do decide to build this ship, consider hanging off on the beginning of the build until next spring, because we will be launching our own "Oars and Wind" Group Build here at MSW.

~Gunny
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Friday, May 05, 2006 - 06:25 PM UTC
Hi Gunny,

Thanks for that, it won't be happening any time soon so no worries there, but I thought I'd start making some enquiries now to see how feasible a project it might be. I think it's possible because small ships would have been bought and sold all over the place before war was declared but whether there is any historical reference for or against it I really have no idea.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP