_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
rigging a Revell Ghost-ship
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Model Shipwrights: 28 posts
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2006 - 04:30 AM UTC
Hi,
I got this Revell ship years ago, and it's my first ship (OK, I built the Aurora 14 years ago.)
Anyway, I'd like to make it an impressive ghost ship, so I'd like to make convincing torn rigging and sails. Would you please give me some advice on this? (I found a rigging-frame from 25 dollars online -I'd like to keep the budget low as I usually build airplanes and AFVs...)

Thank you very much.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2006 - 04:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
I got this Revell ship years ago, and it's my first ship (OK, I built the Aurora 14 years ago.)
Anyway, I'd like to make it an impressive ghost ship, so I'd like to make convincing torn rigging and sails. Would you please give me some advice on this? (I found a rigging-frame from 25 dollars online -I'd like to keep the budget low as I usually build airplanes and AFVs...)

Thank you very much.

Hi, spongya, and Welcome to Model Shipwrights, mate!
Sounds as if you have yourself an interesting project planned! I personally have built many sailing vessels in the past, but never a ghost ship! That should be really cool...I remember seeing one done not to long ago on the web, but unfortunately, I didn't bookmark it...I'll try to remember where it was, because the pics were great! Keep us updated on your progress, mate...
~Gunny
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Model Shipwrights: 28 posts
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2006 - 05:14 AM UTC
Thank you for the warm welcome.
I'll try to build different subjects and ships are yet to be explored -and I know little of them yet. (I'm really afraid I open a can-o-worms. I was a die-hard airplane buff before I tried my hand on a Flak88... and now all my precious airplanes are sitting in their boxes, and I'm spending my little money on tanks like crazy... )
I don't really know how much extra should I put in this ship. Basically it's a kit for kids, but with decent rigging and sails, good weathering, it should look nice. (The kit contains phosphorescent paint, too. I'll do some trials, because I want it to be nice and rotten with seaweed hanging from everywhere, cannons rusted, and all that jazz. So I'll have to mix the phoshporescent paint with model paint, or maybe cover the paint with it - we'll see.) I'll have to make the even wooden surface look like wood rotting away, add some damage, etc.
I'd like to be ready by the time the new Pirates of the Carribean comes out.
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Model Shipwrights: 213 posts
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2006 - 06:03 AM UTC
Welcome to model shipwrights its always nice to have a new person here, i like your idea its original, if the sails are a thin plastic you could use an exacto knife and push it through the plastic while twisting at the same time that may give you a rough looking tear in the sails, just an idea. Rigging is a lot of work i have finished to rigged wooden ships you can check my gallery for ideas.
 _GOTOTOP