_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Civilian Ships & Boats
Covers all non-sail civilian ships, craft, and boats.
Imex freighter series kits
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 05:35 AM UTC
I picked up an Imex 1/400 scale freight vessel model on a whim. It was in the clearance bin at the local shop for $6.70. The kit I purchased was the Nedlloyd Lines M.S. Nedlloyd Bahrain (also comes with decals for the Baltimore, Bangkok and Barcelona).

Anyone know the history of these ship kits? The interior looks like it once was battery operated. The ship also includes a metal propellor shaft and white metal screw. I did a quick search on eBay using "Imex" and "freight" and found one. Here is a link to the kit: MS. Nedlloyd Bahrain. I also saw a couple of other kits from the line that were pictured on the box sides.

This will be one of the first civilian ship kits that I have built in a couple of decades. Wish me luck.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 02:53 PM UTC
Hi Robin, and Welcome to Model Shipwrights, mate!
Wow, you got yourself a deal, my friend...
and as you have expected, the model that you have was made to be mechanically operated, as most of the Imex line is R/C...
Have you seen this site yet?
Imex R/C
I have one of their older speedboats (and it's HUGE) and the sweetie rocks, man! Anyways, hope this helped you out some, and good luck with your build!
~Gunny
Brandon
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 01:42 PM UTC
Goodmorning

When looking aroun on armoram I saw your article

the Nedll. Bahrain was build in Rotterdam as the first of 4 ships of the Multi Purpose vessels. Nedlloyd ordered 10 ships on the same time. 4 B. 4 RoRo ships and two containers ship all in the seventies. The 4 B ships entered the liner trade on the NW Continent /Europe to the Persian Gulf, then they were moved to a trade South Africa/ East Asia then East Asia New Zealnd then later for trips round the world.

I cannnot remember when they were sold but a few are sold to a American shipping company I have seen them regular in Rotterdam. I received then a kit of the B and the R the RoRo the Rosario, Rouen, Rotterdam and Rochester from Nedlloyd as I have been sailing for Nedlloyd 5 years and still have good contacts. Now its over I live in the Belgium Ardennes were 62 years ago its was hard fighting in this area and the coast is about 300km away from here I still do modelling AFV of WWII and some time a ship like now I building the USS Cushing of Dragon

Best wishes for now

Regards

Wim

_GOTOTOP