_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
Brit Armed Trawler 'Bedfordshire'
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Model Shipwrights: 134 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 06:41 AM UTC
I'm looking for a model of a early WW2 British Armed Trawler, say 1/350 scale.

The specific ship I wish to model is HMS (or HMT) Bedfordshire, which was built commercially in the 30's, requisitioned for Admiralty use in 1939, converted & armed, sent to assist the US, and sunk off the coast of North Carolina in May 1942.

I guess if I can find any WW2-era armed trawler I can hack it into a representation of the Bedfordshire ...

Thanks in advance,
John
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 02:41 PM UTC
Hi John!
Wow, that's a good one, mate!
I don't know if your going to find a designated design without a bit of scratching involved, my friend...honestly, I don't remember ever seeing one...I found this scratchbuild story of the Admiralty over at STEEL NAVY , mate...I'll keep looking though!
~Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 04:20 PM UTC
Hi John

To my knowledge there's no model of a Armed Trawler in 1/350... I think there use to be one in 1/700, and some in 1/96 (intended for R/C)
I could be wrong...

Skipper
jRatz
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 06:50 AM UTC
Gunny, Skipper:

Well, we three have found about the same thing -- must be a sign !!!

I saw the SteelNavy article -- it is Admiralty-built not requistioned. I suspect that if I want to really do this, then I'll have to find some R/C plans & a reference or two and scratchbuild it ...

John
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 02:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunny, Skipper:

Well, we three have found about the same thing -- must be a sign !!!

I saw the SteelNavy article -- it is Admiralty-built not requistioned. I suspect that if I want to really do this, then I'll have to find some R/C plans & a reference or two and scratchbuild it ...

John

Hi John!
Unfortunately, mate, I'm going to have to say that if you want to do this project as stated, better start scratching! I've come up with zip in two days of searching (even had a couple others here at the office looking too!) ...but it's definitely a great sounding project! Let us know what you decide and keep us posted if you proceed...
~Gunny
jRatz
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 05:51 AM UTC
Thanks Gunny !!!
I found a couple books at WEM, one covering Admiralty trawlers & the other Requisitioned trawlers & I suspect I will have to buy both of them to see what the differences might be should I find something to backdate ...
John
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 01:31 PM UTC
John,
I've found a picture of HMT Bedfordshire at this site:
http://www.royal-naval-reserve.co.uk/lost2.htm
Click the 1941-1942 button and scroll down.
There's quite a few pics of different trawlers, so it could be of some use for research.
Tom
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 02:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Gunny !!!
I found a couple books at WEM, one covering Admiralty trawlers & the other Requisitioned trawlers & I suspect I will have to buy both of them to see what the differences might be should I find something to backdate ...
John

That's great news, John...What are the title names, mate? I may be able to use one (or both!)...please keep me posted, John, this is a very interesting project!
~Gunny
jRatz
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 05:55 AM UTC
Gunny:

"Royal Navy Trawlers", of course !!! Part 1 covers Admiralty Trawlers & Part 2 covers Requisitioned Trawlers, which the Bedfordshire would have been.

Do not hold your breath -- if I do this, I don't need it completed unti Summer of '08 ...

John
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Model Shipwrights: 171 posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 02:36 PM UTC
That would be something which I would find of interest as well - although of a slightly earlier period. My grandfather served on armed trawlers during WW1 and up until 1921 when Britain was supporting the 'Whites' during the Russian Civil War. I'll have to dig out his journals one of these days..Jim
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 02:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunny:

"Royal Navy Trawlers", of course !!! Part 1 covers Admiralty Trawlers & Part 2 covers Requisitioned Trawlers, which the Bedfordshire would have been.

Do not hold your breath -- if I do this, I don't need it completed unti Summer of '08 ...

John

Thanks for the info, mate...Summer of '08?!...Geez, John, and I thought that I planned ahead! :-) It's never too early to plan out your next project, now, isn't it?...
If you're like me John, you have a stack of "wish I had time for these" projects on the corner of your workbench.
At the present time I'm gathering information on the Italian Suicide Torpedo, the "Mignatta"...not much around about it at all, mate...Skipper's been lending me a hand with the research, he steered me toward a great Italian website with alot of info on it (and a translation, Grazie, Rui! )
Good luck with the future project, John!
~Gunny
jRatz
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 05:46 AM UTC
Gunny,
It's not that I always plan so far ahead -- like you most my projects are in the "I wish I had time" or "Why is this taking so long" category ...

Summer'08 coincides with the return of the IPMS Nationals to the east coast & our club has been talking about a North Carolina focused club entry.

John
jRatz
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 05:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

John,
I've found a picture of HMT Bedfordshire at this site:
http://www.royal-naval-reserve.co.uk/lost2.htm
Click the 1941-1942 button and scroll down.
There's quite a few pics of different trawlers, so it could be of some use for research.
Tom

Tom, sorry, I forgot to properly thank you for the info & link - very useful ...
John
jRatz
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 05:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That would be something which I would find of interest as well - although of a slightly earlier period. My grandfather served on armed trawlers during WW1 and up until 1921 when Britain was supporting the 'Whites' during the Russian Civil War. I'll have to dig out his journals one of these days..Jim

I just got two books on RN & Requisitioned Trawlers covering what seems to be every WW1 - WW2 trawler. If you know the names of those he served on, I'll pass on the historical info ...

Unfortunately these books are long on short history text & short on photos & drawings which is what I really wanted ... sigh ... Nonetheless, I can now be the life of some cocktail party, having every RN trawler's history at my fingertips ...

John
 _GOTOTOP