_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
Modern Corvettes
Frigate
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 205 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 10:42 PM UTC
Gents,
OK then, Rui got me fired up with a mention of Corvettes for a possible future group build. Regardless of whether or not this occurs, I dove into a Mirage Tarantul III in 1/400th scale. In my view, an extremely decent little kit that one can really got to town with if you're so inclined. But we'll see about that.

My question for the group is : anyone know of any other modern Corvette kits in plastic ? Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against resin, I'm just too cheap. I prefer to get smaller, perhaps less detailed kits, and then detail them up or convert them. Probably at the lower prices, I don't feel bad about experimenting. Plus then the imagination can go into overdrive.

Luckily for me, Mirage has the "Tarantul Family" available. But does anyone know of any others ? Could become an interesting little collection. Any ideas ?
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 03:05 PM UTC
I hear ya, mate!
But unfortunately, I know of no "modern" Flower Class Corvettes in plastic, Bruce...there's some around in paper, wood, and of course resin, (like your post said!)...someone else may know of an available modern subject in injection mold, though...sorry, mate!
~Gunny
Frigate
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 08:00 PM UTC
Gunny,
Well, that confirms what I thought. But an interesting tidbit I've found while researching modern Corvettes. From what I've found, pound for pound, the Israeli Navy SA'AR 5 class is probably the most armed Corvette in the world at present.
I've been trying to find some line drawings of her so I can scratchbuild an example. Has anyone stumbled across any ? Perhaps if someone is a member of the Naval Institute they may have had an old drawing ? Any help would be appreciated. In the meantime, I'll keep reasearching, plus working up the Tarantul III of course ! Keep building ..................Bruce
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 08:23 PM UTC
Hey Bruce...

I didn't check the site yet, but here is a good place to start on your search...and if he doesn't list it, he might be able to find it...

Coastal Forces Plans

There's a contact link to shoot an e-mail request if you can't find what you're looking for...
~Gunny
Frigate
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2006 - 09:08 AM UTC
Gunny,
Thanks for the tip, he doesn't have any listed, but I'll keep looking. I have plenty of time while the Tarantul III is under construction. I do appreciate the help.

Actually there are several I may attempt to chase down. The MEKO A-100 is a popular Corvette also, so I'll have plenty of digging to do. Thanks again........................Bruce
Frigate
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 07:45 PM UTC
Gentlemen,
Obviously, the Corvette is in the news. Has anyone heard which type of Israeli "Ship" was hit ? I assume it was probably a SA'AR 5 Class ? Plus it seems she was hit by an aircraft loaded with explosives but remained afloat. My regrets to the Israeli Navy on the loss of personnel. I'm sure this situation will be ugly before all is said and done. But I give credit to professional damage control to take that type of hit and remain afloat.
I guess I'll have to start digging for more info on the Sa'ar Corvettes. Any thoughts ?..............................................Bruce
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 09:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gentlemen,
Obviously, the Corvette is in the news. Has anyone heard which type of Israeli "Ship" was hit ? I assume it was probably a SA'AR 5 Class ? Plus it seems she was hit by an aircraft loaded with explosives but remained afloat. My regrets to the Israeli Navy on the loss of personnel. I'm sure this situation will be ugly before all is said and done. But I give credit to professional damage control to take that type of hit and remain afloat.
I guess I'll have to start digging for more info on the Sa'ar Corvettes. Any thoughts ?..............................................Bruce

Hi Bruce!
Careful mate, current events is a no-no in the forums, but for the record, I agree with ya, Bro...Here's a little info on the SA'AR Corvettes that I have:

SA'AR Link 1

SA'AR
Link 2

SA'AR Link 3

Three of my fave's!
~Gunny
Frigate
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 10:39 PM UTC
Gunny,
My apologies - In no way was I trying to make ANY political statement. At this point, it is strictly a modellers interest. I shall refrain in the future.
Thanks for the links, could make an interesting Corvette addition.....................................Bruce
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunny,
My apologies - In no way was I trying to make ANY political statement. At this point, it is strictly a modellers interest. I shall refrain in the future.
Thanks for the links, could make an interesting Corvette addition.....................................Bruce

Hey, Bruce...
No problemo, mate... it's all good, Bro!
~Gunny
 _GOTOTOP