_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Tamiya 1/72 Vosper
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 945 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 08:52 PM UTC
Ahoy gentlemen,

I got a Tamiya 1/72 Vosper. I have no idea what about the history of this ship. This PT boat is from WW2 right? Is there any PE set for this kit?

Thanks for your help!

WC
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 09:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahoy gentlemen,

I got a Tamiya 1/72 Vosper. I have no idea what about the history of this ship. This PT boat is from WW2 right? Is there any PE set for this kit?

Thanks for your help!

WC

Hi Ben...
The first thing that I suggest, mate, is to try a Google search for the Vosper PT, and do some research...Good research is the foundation for a good build! White Ensign Models used to have PE for the 1/72 Vosper, give em a shot and see what you find!
~Gunny
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 03:46 PM UTC
Ahoy, Ben!

Did you find out anything about the Vosper yet, mate? Here is a link to a really great build using the same base kit that you have in your hands now, my friend...

Tamiya Vosper Build

~Gunny
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 04:55 PM UTC
Nice looking boat that WC, and I imagine it will be a joy to build. I't's not a WW2 boat though, sorry! From what I can find out they were built by Vosper Thornycroft for the Royal Malaysian Navy in 1967
arkool
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 4 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 04:57 PM UTC
Hi Ben...
The Vosper Patrol Craft you have is not a WW2 boat, the class was introduced into the RN post the conflict and was of the "Brave" class. The memory is a little rusty here but I believe the Tamiya kit was originaly issued as HMS Brave Borderer; the RN' political masters decided that the era of Motor Torpedo Boats had passed for the RN, and so sold her to the Royal Malaysian Navy (along with her sister ship, forgten its name) where the Borderer was renamed "Perkasa". Hope this helps mate.
Ray

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ahoy gentlemen,

Thanks for your help!

WC

Hi Ben...
The first thing that I suggest, mate, is to try a Google search for the Vosper PT, and do some research...Good research is the foundation for a good build! White Ensign Models used to have PE for the 1/72 Vosper, give em a shot and see what you find!
~Gunny

Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 05:07 PM UTC
This link has some useful info on VT craft

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/vosper_thornycroft.htm
swingbowler
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 162 posts
Model Shipwrights: 32 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 08:14 PM UTC
in a slightly off-topic vein: I was on holiday last year in Melaka, Malaysia. And doing the typical tourist thing, went to the local maritime museum. They had a decently restored Portuguese man-o-war, and an old navy helicopter. Just down the road, mounted on a stand 20 feet off the ground, was an old hull, looking sneakily suspiciously like a Vosper PT boat! The MG is still there but the torpedoes were removed, the cabin and basic hull shape and measurements match up to the 1/72 hull I have at home. The hull number is 3143. Could this be the Perkasa? The boat area was not accessible to the public and I could only guess from afar... I took 2 photos but this was before my digital camera days and the quality is really too poor to put up here. does anyone out there know more about this particular boat?
 _GOTOTOP