_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/700 Scharnhorst and Gneisenau?
ricohdvdr6
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 198 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 06:02 PM UTC
Has anyone built the Tamiya waterline series kits? I understand they're pretty old... how's the detail, and are there any detail sets in this scale?
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 06:17 PM UTC
Not one of those, but I built Tamiya's 1/700 waterline King George V - she looks pretty nice OOB, but I added a White Ensign Models AM set - they probably do sets for the other 1/700 kits as well

You can see my KGV here
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 08:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Has anyone built the Tamiya waterline series kits? I understand they're pretty old... how's the detail, and are there any detail sets in this scale?

Both are decent kits, with good detail. I've got both of the twins under construction. Both White Ensign Models and Tom's Modelworks make a PE set specific to these ships, while Gold Medal makes a German Naval set with parts for this class.

The Scharnhorst represents the ship in her "as sunk" configuration, while the Gneisenau kit is a 1939 version of the ship. I bought a 2nd Scharnhorst cheap to use the parts to convert Gneisenau to a June, 1940 appearance.

They are - IMO - a good value for the money. I've enjoyed building them. Here's a few in-progress pictures of Scharnhorst (top) and Gneisenau:

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 02:13 AM UTC
Martin

You never stop amazing me with your production level and quality control
Looking sharp

Skipper
 _GOTOTOP