1/35 scratchbuilt naval gun for torpedoboat
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 01:28 PM UTC
Dear all,
I thought I would take the opportunity that so few people are there during the summer to show my last scratchbuilt work: it's a 37mm Hotchkiss revolving canon, that was extensively used by the Americans during the Spanish/USA war of 190-something, but also to arm most Russian battleships till the 19-twenties. I'm also building a big bit of the torpedoboat that goes underneath that little thing,
thanx for watching!
jb

Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 02:13 PM UTC
Lovely piece of scratch-building Jean-Bernard! How much of the torpedo boat are you planning to build?

By the way, BARV is running a scrtach-builder's campaign, you can read more here
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 02:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

. I'm also building a big bit of the torpedoboat that goes underneath that little thing,

Hi Jean-Bernard!
Very nice work, mate...what plans do you have for the "big bit of torpedo boat" that you are building for underneath? Tell us about your build!
~Gunny
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 04:04 PM UTC
Hi friends,
This part i'm building, i just finished the hull. I've got 2 chimneys, and a part of the engine left to do and i'm waiting for some photoetched drilled plate to build the place where the people stand. As for accessories, I'm currently building the compass and the searchlight.
don't worry about the way the front looks like, it's for a diorama, and the boat is supposed to sink
thanks for your comments!!
jb
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 04:07 PM UTC
Hi Jean,

Nice work sir, thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Al
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 04:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi friends,
This part i'm building, i just finished the hull. I've got 2 chimneys, and a part of the engine left to do and i'm waiting for some photoetched drilled plate to build the place where the people stand. As for accessories, I'm currently building the compass and the searchlight.
don't worry about the way the front looks like, it's for a diorama, and the boat is supposed to sink
thanks for your comments!!
jb

JB, you REALLY have my attention, now, mate!
Just what vessel are you building there, and are you working from a reference photo(s) or is the story yours??? You have to tell me more!!
~Gunny
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 04:35 PM UTC
The ship is the torpedoboat N°107 of the tsarist army, it has got a name but i just can't type it in cyrilic! Somebody found me the plans in a early "torpedoboats in russia" kind of book (wriiten in russian of course).
But to sum up, it looks a lot like the Izmail, which is a torpedoboat most famous because it accompanied the Potemkin on its Black Sea trip after it revolted in 1906 (?)
here's a small pic!
JB
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 04:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The ship is the torpedoboat N°107 of the tsarist army, it has got a name but i just can't type it in cyrilic! Somebody found me the plans in a early "torpedoboats in russia" kind of book (wriiten in russian of course).
But to sum up, it looks a lot like the Izmail, which is a torpedoboat most famous because it accompanied the Potemkin on its Black Sea trip after it revolted in 1906 (?)
here's a small pic!
JB

Thats FANTASTIC mate!
What a great subject to model...what ever prompted you to want to build this? (aside from a really cool looking dio! )
~Gunny
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 05:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thats FANTASTIC mate!
What a great subject to model...what ever prompted you to want to build this? (aside from a really cool looking dio! )
~Gunny

isn't that obvious from the picture?! what a fantastic looking boat! it looks like a fish, all its shape is just completely round like it's a submarine or something, with the front looking like a swordfish. Georges Lucas wouldn't have dreamt of something looking anything as cool
JB
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 05:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thats FANTASTIC mate!
~Gunny

isn't that obvious from the picture?! what a fantastic looking boat! it looks like a fish, all its shape is just completely round like it's a submarine or something, with the front looking like a swordfish. Georges Lucas wouldn't have dreamt of something looking anything as cool
JB

I hear ya there, mate!
Definitely keep us updated on this build, my friend, and if your stuck on PT boats, and want to join in on some fun later on, take a look HERE
Thanks for the posts!
~Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 06:20 AM UTC
Allô Jean-Bernard André

First of all, let me Welcome you to ModelShipWrights and second what beautifull craftmanship and excellent project (almost is a shame to sink it!!). Looking forward to see further progress!

Skipper

jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 05:02 PM UTC
Thanks for your comments Rui,
A shame to sink it? the complete length of the boat in 1/35 would have been something like 1,10 meter or something and i don't have this kind of place at home
The other reason is that I am a bit dubious concerning regular boat-dioramas. if you don't want to have to build a bit of earth or a harbour nearby and just want to put a boat in the middle of the sea you often don't get a much esthetic result while with a sinking boat -especially if you show only a part of it - you can produce amazing and dramatic effects

JB
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 05:21 PM UTC
Hi Jean,

Thanks for sharing this, it looks like a first class project, a really interesting and unusual build.

Brilliant work, look forward to seeing more.

Cheers

Al
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 06:42 PM UTC
Allô Jean-Bernard

You got some point there, but things can always be improved or "manipulated" so that your dio can be full of action.
Although I have some doubts on the way the water looks (I wish I can do it like this!!) here are a few examples of Joseph Neumyer's Dynamic Dioramas.
Joseph's dios are very convincing, even if they have only one or two vessels... (just a thought)

Skipper
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 07:19 PM UTC
Hey Rui!
I do know about Joseph Neumyer's dioramas, he's a great technician, but this is indeed his dioramas that tought me the limitations of the boat-diorama in the open sea!
When he does a diorama with only one ship, you'll see that he puts some explosion just to off-center the boat, but in the end the boat is still more or less at the middle with decent size sea areas with quite nothing on it. Then of course he did his "duel at sea" diorama (Schnellboot vs cargo) which is perfect when it comes to action and technics, but there's still this problem of the flat area of the sea which personnally is something I do want to break. Basically, areas with nothing on it with one colour tone would tend to work so-so. it would still look like this : ___\/____\/___
I hope i can really define this a bit better, and find out the right words in english!
JB
 _GOTOTOP