_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
introduce myself
Brandon
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 10:48 PM UTC
Hallo everybody

Yes it is strange I have sent already a request and now I will introduce myself normally we do it in another way. But I am Dutch maybe thats the reason.

Sorry for my poor English but its a long time ago since I wrote in English nearly 16 years ago!!

After a very long time I started to build again naval vessels. I am now 57 years old and of origin I am a Dutch and since short we live ( my wife and I) in the Belgium Ardennes just in the middle of the area were it was 62 years not so be pleasant to stay and run for the live in the Battle of the Bulge around here it has been very badly the older people still talk abouth this to me. Our village is 8km south of La Roche and 20km west of Bastogne

When I was 12 I started to build naval ships. Mainly of Airfix/Revell and Aurora. My father has been sailing on the allied convoys form the USA to the UK and the famous Murmansk twice his vessel was torpedoed and sunk but he survived and once he went on a mine and also survvied he returned safely after the WWII was over This was maybe the reason that I was so interested in the WWII

Later when I build all available scale models I changed in aircrafts of WW!! because a few house away a friend his father was Pilot of the British Mosquito in WW11 so I started to build this type and later I changed into AFV models to build

When 16 years I went to the merchant navy and sailed for over 5 years all over the world and enjoy my live. When I went a shore we married and had two daughters but I still had nothing to do with the hobby. Since abouth 5 years I am back buit mainly AFV untill I saw the new Revell's submarines en the Dragon new modern warships

I started firstly with the U99 of Revell and now I am working of the Cushing of Dragon which is a great model to build

No doubt as you will hear from me many times with questions as I am still " new"

regards and have all a good weekend

Wim
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 11:32 PM UTC
Hello, Brandon!
I have spoke to you many times here in the forums, mate, and it's a real pleasure to formally meet you!
Don't apologize about the english, mate, modeling is a universal language, and I think that we all can understand each other (most of the time! :-) )
I want to formally welcome you aboard, my friend,and ask lots of questions, because that's how we all learn!
Keep Modeling!
~Gunny
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 01:08 PM UTC
Hello Wim, and welcome to Model ShipWrights! Don't apologise for your English, it's far better than my Dutch

You certainly have an interesting background mate, what have you been doing since you gave up going to sea?

Look forward to speaking to you some more, and seeing some of your work when you're ready to post some photos. Especially of that corvette you're working on!

Cheers
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 03:41 PM UTC
Hi Wim,

Welcome again, you English is much better than my Dutch, which is non existent, so don't worry there.

Look forward to seeing some of you work. Your Dad and you friends father certainely have had an interesting past.

All the best

Al
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 05:42 PM UTC
Hi Wim

Good move on your introduction! Nice touch
As you have already noticed, you are most "Welcome to Modelshipwrights"!!
Don't need to apologise for your english, you are not the only one who speaks english as a second language, and your english is well understood!

Once again, welcome aboard!

Skipper
 _GOTOTOP