Pier 51 - Working With Water
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 06:55 PM UTC
Greetings all,

Firstly I have a similar post running in the dio section but though there might be some uesful experiences to be gained by posting it again in Shipwrights.

I know there have been a few posts about working with water, which I'm afraid to say I didn't follow too closely.

I was looking in the features section but couldn't find any specific articles on working with large areas of water.

Is there an article or link I could follow. I need to start at the beginning, what's the best thing to seal the base with, how to build up a body of water etc, etc.

Any good or bad experiences would be helpful, issues about shrinkage, drying time, durability, products and who makes them, supplies them and so on.

Not sure if there is something running about this at the moment.

Cheers

Al

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 08:45 PM UTC
Hi Alan!
Did you check out any of Mike Taylor's article's here on sight?
He makes some VERY realistic water dio's, mate!
I know that Rui was working on putting up a feature on how to make water using clear silicone (which works really well!) but he's just been too busy...
~Gunny
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 11:04 PM UTC
Hi Gunny,

I could only find Mike's build articles on his ships not anything specific about working with water.

Great kits BTW,

Scott Slodder has a good article that he's pointed me in the direction off. Resin would seem to be the answer, but I'll await further developments to see what other ideas come up.

Cheers

Al
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 11:24 PM UTC
Have a look here, mate!

Making Rough Water

A great article, and it works...
~Gunny
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 03:13 PM UTC
Hi Gunney,

Thanks for the link, interesting article and a nice result on the dio for 'Deep Water'.

Not sure if it would be the appropriate method for my low water harbour, but worth thinking about.

I'd be interested to see Rui's article on clear silicone.

The resin method looks very effective but has certain drawbacks, the chemicles being toxic and I need to find out a bit more about how deep each pour can be as there are all sorts of things to consider, such as removing your dam before the resin gels hard.

Here's a couple of links I've come across just for interest:

Scott's article (really useful - water element on page 11/12):

https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/751&page=12

Article by William Lauders (Thanks Paul - aka NATO 308)

http://www.pwmrc.org/water/Water.htm

Article by Dana Geraths (Thanks Paul aka - NATO 308)

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/tnt1/001-100/TNT067_making-water_Geraths/tnt067.htm

As they say there's a lot more to this than meets the eye LOL, LOL.

Given the tidal changes on the coast of England it would be perfectly possible to model them on the beach so to speak as I've seen many examples of small harbours where the tide goes all the way out and boats are left sitting on the sea bed. Don't know if it would be quite as effective but it would be possible.

Cheers

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 09:34 PM UTC
Greetings all,

Here's a link to my post in the Dio section that I hope will be of interest.

Cheers

Al

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/82663&page=1
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 11:46 PM UTC
Hi Alan and Mark

The Article that I am working on is about making water in 1/700 scale which is not apropriate for your wishes!!!
I must say that, after the needed size for display, this is the reason for not attacking Accurate Armour Type XXIII and Type VII-C waterline models...
I have seen some water effects in 1/35 scale, some of them here in Armorama, but always in a small area (like in Vietnam Dio's with PBR's or LSSC's). Miguel Gimenez (MIG) has a smashing dio with a half sunken Bronekater that is really impressive and most of all convincing!!
The "How to" is a different story...

Skipper
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 01:12 AM UTC
Hi skipper,

Yip, 'How too' are the words. :-) :-) :-) Good luck with the article.

I've been thinking about the boats. They can't sit on the bottom so I'm thinking to run a length of milliput down the centre of the hulls and securing them that way. If I raise them off the sea bed in this manner it would also allow the unrestricted flow of the resin and hopefully help eliminate air bubbles that otherwise might get trapped. They wouldn't need to be far of the sea bed just enough to give clear passage to the 'Water'.

Make any sense?

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP