_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
weird bit on a PT's chimney, any details?
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 10:18 PM UTC
dear all,
sorry to have to ask the help of the community but i'm much intrigued by this metal bit on a russian torpedoboat of the early 1900, i don't have a clue about what it is, nor can I find a better picture to help me modelling it with the right proportions. The Russians at this time were apparently relying on foreign technology (British I suppose) for their boats design, so maybe this detail is viewable on another boat of the same era?
any help appreciated!
JB
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:19 PM UTC
Hey JB,

From the shape of the object, it may be a horn of some sort. That's my best guess.

Kenny
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:48 PM UTC
Perhaps a housing for running lights?

Tom
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2006 - 04:30 PM UTC
Okay mates, this is going to drive me nuts!
I've copied and pasted, enlarged, re-colored, and studied these photo's, and honestly, I can't come up with a good, clear image to really tell what this doo-dad might be....could be a horn, could be a light housing, BUT.....I do hope that someone can clarify this one!!
Still looking!
~Gunny
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2006 - 05:06 PM UTC
Oh gosh Mark, don't spend too much time with this! As my only experience with boats is the ferry between Calais and Dover, i supposed somebody knowing a bit more about navigation would light my brain about this!
Anyway, much thanks to all those that gave guesses, I would tend to think this is something related to lights as on the first pic, there seem to be a little bit of thing in it BUT i don't understand the big reflector (if it's one) around, especially because it seems to block the view from behind. And then there's a big projector just at the front of the boat!
Anyway, thanks once more -and if somebody has got a fresh idea please do!
JB
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2006 - 09:52 PM UTC
OK I now know what it is: it's actually a place to put the navigation lamps, but as we're early XX th century, those are parafin fueled lamps that are placed ONLY at night which is why the thing appears to be empty!!
thanks to all who gessed!!
JB
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 12:20 AM UTC
Howdy jba,

.....very interesting, I too was guessing pretty hard at this....my thoughts also were to either lights or horn...but the second shot showed what appeared to be the horn snaking above the stack, and the third shot showed what appeared to be some type of piped feedline running into the back of your sheetmetal "weird bit"......so glad you were able to draw the blanket over this puzzle

Tread.
 _GOTOTOP