_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Sailing Vessels
This forum is for sailing ships both civilian and military of any era.
Prospected "Oars and Wind" Group Build
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 04:17 PM UTC
Greetings, shipwrights!
A few months back we here at MSW kicked around an idea I had of maybe a campaign or group build centering around the grand ole' sailing ships of days of yore, and we decided together that maybe a group build would be the best choice, because of complexity issues in building. The time frame will be very flexible, because of such as well.
We had also discussed of a good time to start this build, so as to not crowd our workbenches with too many campaign builds or other projects that we are working on, and we had arrived at a fall start up time to be the best choice.
So, in essence, my question today is, are we still in for this group build, are you still interested? We're quickly approaching the fall, y'all, and if it's a go, would like to decide on something concrete.
Remember, any type of sailing vessel, any scale, any media, from wood, to fibreglass, and plastic can be built, any nationality, or time frame. . .and the main idea of a build such as this is two-fold, one to maybe learn something that you didn't know about these vessels, and two, the most important is to have fun and build models!!
Well, whaddaya think?
~Gunny

Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 10:37 PM UTC
I have a small sail powered vessel in the stash which I will be building.
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 142 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 01:58 AM UTC
hey Gunny

I'v'e got a 1/100 Heller hms Victory which needs to be completed sooner or later..... (the same box as the pic you used)
One small problem with the normal rules: I already started this kit, and got to about where the hull is glued together, and the decks are in place. (hull is also painted, but only the first layer (even wrong...)
Would I still be allowed to enter this kit in the build? Or can I just join the campaign with her but without receiving a ribbon when I complete?

I'd just love to see her finished one day, and who knows there would even be somebody else building the same kit who can help me out 'cause I can't figure out the english instructions on this one...

warvos
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Model Shipwrights: 213 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 02:13 AM UTC
I am still in i just have to figure out which kit i think i can finish in whatever time frame we decide on.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 05:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hey Gunny

I'v'e got a 1/100 Heller hms Victory which needs to be completed sooner or later..... (the same box as the pic you used)
One small problem with the normal rules: I already started this kit, and got to about where the hull is glued together, and the decks are in place. (hull is also painted, but only the first layer (even wrong...)
Would I still be allowed to enter this kit in the build? Or can I just join the campaign with her but without receiving a ribbon when I complete?

I'd just love to see her finished one day, and who knows there would even be somebody else building the same kit who can help me out 'cause I can't figure out the english instructions on this one...

warvos

Hey Bjorn!
A quick reminder, mates, this grioupbuild won't be a sanctioned build, just for fun! No ribbons, bells, or whistles, just the chance to build some models together, learn a few things about the older vessels, and just have a great time together! So actually, the kit that you have IS eligible, so bring it out, dust 'er off, and get ready to build, discuss, and participate!

So, how about some thoughts on a starting date, maties?

~Gunny
 _GOTOTOP