_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
USS Cushing/Dragon Masts problem
Brandon
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 01:06 PM UTC
Hello to everybody.

I have the USS Cushing under construction. This kit is of Dragon scale 1:350. IThe drawing is a bit unclear to me and would like to have some photo's of modellers who has build thiskit or a simular kit like the USS Kidd

I hope that some one is able to help me. I have been looking to the website of Navysource but the photo's published are not clear enough to me.

Thanks have a sunny sunday

regards

Wim
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 06:36 PM UTC

I've always found the Navy News Stand to be an excellent source. If these photos don't help search for another Spruance class ship and check the photos

http://www.news.navy.mil/index.asp" TARGET="_blank">Navy News Stand

andrew_o
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 39 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 11:01 AM UTC
Hi,

If you can describe your problem with the masts I may be able to help. I also have a DML Cushing under slooooooooow construction. My subject is the Spruance after modernization. I hope to be able to post the in-progress build on this site soon.

To all reading this post, my problem is the stern. I know the Ticonderoga and Spruance-class boats share the same basic hull. But online pics show a different layout:

1) the horizontal thingamajig (a hollow, 4-rib (not 5) "whatever" present on cruisers) under the center chock is absent on DD965 (which I assume is the same layout for DD963)
2) instead there are four angled horizontal "whatevers" - two each port and starboard - flanking the ship's name.
3) off-center to the stern surface is a round hole - I assume this is exhaust for the turbines? Some Spruance DDs have it, some DDs don't. Can somebody shed light on this thing? It's not available on the 1/350 kits, so I'm scratching it - but I want to make sure that the Spruance has this.

So if anyone has clear pics on the Spruance stern, I'd appreciate a look-see.

Thanks.

Andrew

_GOTOTOP