_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
H M S Captain
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 01:18 AM UTC
Hi All,
I was pottering about the other day on my computer and clicked on a link (as you do). In the link was a ship manufacturer I hadn't heard of. So I clicked on the link (as you do).
Up came a one seventy something model of H M S Captain (I think) a British 74 gun ship of the line that fought at the Battle of Copenhagen made from wood (not plastic). Now I have an ambition one day to build a wooden ship when space time and cost all align but I forgot to save the page If anyone knows of the company PLEASE post it here for me.
Your help is much appreciated
Tom
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 02:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi All,
I was pottering about the other day on my computer and clicked on a link (as you do). In the link was a ship manufacturer I hadn't heard of. So I clicked on the link (as you do).
Up came a one seventy something model of H M S Captain (I think) a British 74 gun ship of the line that fought at the Battle of Copenhagen made from wood (not plastic). Now I have an ambition one day to build a wooden ship when space time and cost all align but I forgot to save the page If anyone knows of the company PLEASE post it here for me.
Your help is much appreciated
Tom

Ahoy, Tom!
Yes, my friend, there is a great sense of accomplishment in building a wood ship model, so far, none matched in this hobby yet, for me. . .are you looking for a specific manufacturer with this specific boat? There are many high quality wooden ship model manufacturers out there, but if you're looking for a certain one, I can try to give you a hand in narrowing it down.
~Gunny
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 03:20 PM UTC
Hi Gunny,
As far as I remember from the link it was a new(ish) manufacturer (could have began with an 'A'.
I've google searched for 'H M S Captain with no results. I wish I could remember what I was looking at when I saw the company ad.
I've built plastic SOL's before, HMS Victory (Airfix), USS Constitution (Revell) and several others, and enjoyed the models, but I've always fancied building a 74 gunner. They were the most common SOL back during the Napoleonic era and I'm kind of suprised that not many are available in plastic. (Heller make an earlier time period model I believe). They must have been a sight to see all lining up for battle under fighting sail!
(I'd better stop there waxing lyrical or I'll have to start reading the Bolitho series again).
No rush though. I'm sure the company I saw will surface eventually.
Thanks for your reply
Tom
 _GOTOTOP