_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
Who's the greatest Admiral Ever?
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 07:32 PM UTC
Hi

Well I am kinda new to this area of modelling and I am gradually learning more and more about naval history.

Whats your opinion on who was the greatest admiral and why? It could be anytime in naval history and any nationality or navy.

Personally at this point in time I greatly admire Admiral Donitz and I saw a video just yesterday of him talking and explaining his experiences. I admire his war record and achievements with the U Boats. He wasnt perfect however I am enjoying learning about his life and achievements.

Whats everyone elses opinion/s on who was the greatest admiral?

Regards

Sean
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 09:45 PM UTC
Good question, mate. . .

Wow, Sean, that's like asking me who was a better General, Patton or Rommel. . .There are so many great men in history that have been in the Admiral position, each with his own accomplishments and attributes, and most with at least one bout of heroism under his belt.

I couldn't even begin to choose the "greatest", but one of my favorite's is Rear Admiral Rafael Celestino Benitez , a submarine commander during the Cold War. . .great story, if you ever see a copy of the book "Blind Man's Bluff, by Sontag, pick it up! It's chock full of great Admirals and their stories in Cold War times! How about it, mates, let's hear about your favorites?!
~Gunny
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Model Shipwrights: 134 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 06:04 AM UTC
In a sense, admirals are almost invisible. Yeah they are the Big Kahuna's and all that, but most naval fighting is done at a lower level. There aren't that many major naval engagements like big land battles, so admirals are more "known" for their planning & administration ...

Anyway, I nominate Nelson & "Jackie" Fisher ...

John
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 07:07 AM UTC
I know that some people will disagree with my choice, but I've always liked "Bull" Halsey. His hit and run tactics drove the IJN nuts in '42. Nimitz runs a close second.

later...Gator
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 11:38 AM UTC
Nelson (ouch!) and Togo..
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 05:25 PM UTC
Thanks Shipmates this is great.

This informs me of a few more Admirals in Naval History to research and found out more details about.

Regards

Sean
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 05:47 PM UTC
Another one of my favorites is Issac Kidd, commander of BatDiv 1 at Pearl Harbor. He lost his life directing anti-aircraft fire on the Arizona, his flagship. Received the CMOH for his bravery.

later...Gator
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Model Shipwrights: 79 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 08:55 PM UTC
Would have to be Lord Horatio Nelson for me... the days when Admirals were still involved in sailing flotillas and such and not sailing desks...
 _GOTOTOP