Pier 51 - Pontoons and Gangways Update
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2006 - 01:10 AM UTC
Greetings all,

Some pics of the Accurate Armour Pontoon and Gangway kit.

Biggest grip about this kit is the size of the plug on the pontoon casting, which covers the entire bottom of the piece. Whether or not you'd actually need to saw this off?????? Anyway I did and it took ages LOL, LOL.

The pieces are nicely made with good detail but the gangway has markings on one side only. No instructions, you get some string and 8 cheats for the 2 pontoons and two rope type things that I believe represent the top of mooring posts along with a gangway and what apprears to be to posts for the gangway??

Anyway, here's a look - I'm just undercoating the first pontoon at the moment.

You could make these quite easily if you could make the metal fittings and that migth be quicker than sawing off the plug. :-) :-) :-) :-)

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2006 - 08:07 PM UTC
Greeting all,

Doesn't look like anyones interested in Pontoons and gangways. but here's an up date on the weathering so far

I haven't started on the metal work yet and a few more washes will probably be needed to bring ti closer to that worn colour.

Sorry the pics not great, the figure is for scale.

Al
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2006 - 08:23 PM UTC
Hey, Alan, I'm interested in pontoons and gangways! :-)

Just got out of a sales meeting ( ), and am catching up. . .looks good, mate, I like the looks of the A/A set, should really match up to what you are trying to achieve!
~Gunny
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2006 - 08:31 PM UTC
Hi Gunny,

Great, do you know if they were used between boats??? or would they have been pier side only?

If you've seen any pics I could use for reference that would be grand.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the coiled rope things are meant to represent mooring posts???

Cheers

Al
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2006 - 08:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gunny,

Great, do you know if they were used between boats??? or would they have been pier side only?

If you've seen any pics I could use for reference that would be grand.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the coiled rope things are meant to represent mooring posts???

Cheers

Al

Al, pontoons (or floating docks) of that size would more than likely be placed pierside, unlike floating docks of this size. . .

Although, I'm sure that somewhere, someone may have used them between boats. . .

I'm not quite sure about the rope coils. . .that's a TON of rope to be wrapped around a mooring post, as well as a damned good job of doing it!
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2006 - 09:03 PM UTC
Hey Alan,

Man, that looks great!. I would have to agree with Gunny. Pontoons would be used to extend the dock to allow more boats to be moored and accessed.

Gator
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2006 - 09:34 PM UTC
Thanks Guys,

I had a look of AA at the pics, the 'ropes' seem to be in the water so I'm assuming they are some Kind of mooring or fender thing? The only reference I've seen is the pics on the AA web site.

Pier side it is, for the pontoons, could have one in the water and one being lowered into the water or being towed into place by the Wee Boat.

Many thanks

AL
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2006 - 10:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I had a look of AA at the pics, the 'ropes' seem to be in the water so I'm assuming they are some Kind of mooring or fender thing? The only reference I've seen is the pics on the AA web site.

AL

Hmmm, fender thing. . .maybe like These?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 12:32 AM UTC
[/quote]

Hmmm, fender thing. . .maybe like These?
[/quote]

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) Very good. Gunny did you get those 6 x 1/35 ones made you were going to send me to trial :-) :-) :-) :-)

I have to say I'm not exactly sure what they are. Might e-amil AA and ask. if they go into the water as shown they must be bound wooden posts so maybe buffers is a better word.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP