_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
General advice for 1/700 PE sets?
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2006 - 08:12 AM UTC
If I wanted to get sets for IJN, UK, US and Italian WW2 era ships in 1/700, whom would you recommend and why? I know several PE makers cater to 1/700 with "generic" sets. What is your experience?

Thnx
Roy
[email protected]
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2006 - 02:47 PM UTC
Hi Roy!

1/700 PE sets, eh? Well mate, there are plenty of A/M manufacturers out there, and quite honestly, IMHO there are three majors that are leading the pack for quality, accuracy, and overall detail. . .in no particular order, Gold Medal Models, White Ensign Models, and Lionroar, as far as us shipwrights are concerned.

Don't get me wrong, my friend, Eduard does make some good stuff, and so does Hasegawa, as well as others. What it breally boils down to I guess, is knowing what you want, first, and second, having enough research information available on the particular subject vs. the A/M kit in question. A little homework goes a looong way!

Some of the generic sets are very good, especially if you just wish to "spruce up" a build with more detailed railings, cranes, platforms, and the like. . .if you are really a rivet counter though, there are some fantastic sets out there that will greatly improve your kit's accuracy.
Hope this helps ya out some, mate, above all, just have fun building your model!
~Gunny
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Model Shipwrights: 35 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 04:36 AM UTC
Roy -

Gunny, Gator, Blaster76, and the others are definitely the ones to listen to for advice here. I'm a little but wanted to make an offer to you to join up in the "Leyte Gulf" since you've expressed an interest in the 1/700 area. I'm offering several 1/700 'Waterline' kits as a free donation to anyone interested in joining the Campaign. Just go to the "Fleet Manuevers; Leyte Gulf Campaign" forum to see what's available or send me a PM. There are mostly IJN Battleships and Cruisers, but a few others as well. I'm mainly an Armor and/or Diorama modeler, but a 'floaty thing' is a nice break once in a while. What ya say?

Blade48mrd
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 06:26 PM UTC
Hi Roy

Real glad you made it over to this forum.

Just FYI Mike is a top guy and his generous offer is genuine. Think about it and take him up on it I am very sure you will not regret it.

Regards

Sean
 _GOTOTOP