_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
IJN Sakura complete
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 04:22 AM UTC
Finally completed my test ship. Here she is.

I think the rigging came out a little too big in this scale so I’ll be using something thinner next time.

Let me know what you think of it and please point out anything that looks wrong.

Next I’ll be moving onto the real Project. 2 1/700 Butler class ships in a display case for my grandfather.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 05:05 AM UTC
She looks very nice Jacob. Fantastic job!

Gator
Gunny
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 05:14 AM UTC
Looks great Jacob, fantastic first time build!
I can't wait to follow the real build. . .
Now, since this was your test build for your Grandfathers dio, would there have been anything done differently, on the dio, than how you did it on the test subject?
~Gunny

redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 06:37 AM UTC
Thanks guys.

Quoted Text

would there have been anything done differently, on the dio, than how you did it on the test subject?

Well besides using thinner rigging I plan to drybrush the white on the tops of the waves. Just panting it on caused some white to end up at the bottom of the waves ether from tunning over the side or from slipping with the brush.
Also I’ll be using a smaller brush to shape the water along the sides of the ship.

Of course i’ve also learnt not to use red oak for the base. Not yet positive what I’ll use. I’m thinking possibly mahogany just have to make sure my pieces are long enough to make the corners. (When competed this “Base” will have glass walls and top. I’ll be using strips of wood along the corners to hold the glass in place. )

I’ve been thinking of just doing the outside edge of the base itself in more valuable wood and just doing the rest in poplar but that would increase the weight. I want to keep it light incase my grandparents move it for anything.

Construction on it should start after I kill 2 deer. Should be about noon tomorrow. :-)
 _GOTOTOP