_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
Ships in Flags of our Fathers
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 06:35 AM UTC
I just got back from seeing Flags of our Fathers. First of all it's a fantastic movie, which I highly recommend. I was wondering though what all you ship builders thought of the CGI ships in the film? I was really interested in seeing a pretty good example of a older, World War I vintage, US BB with tri-pod masts and ram bow. I'm guessing she was supposed to be either Texas or Arkansas. That was also a pretty good shot of an Iowa class cutting loose on shore bombardment. Didn't you think that the transports they were on though looked exactly like Trumpeter's Liberty Ship? I really enjoyed the movie, but found myself counting how many times they showed Iowa class BBs off shore. I counted four in at least one scene, even though I don't think more than two were actually there.

Anybody else have any comments on the ships?

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 03:43 PM UTC
Haven't seen it (yet) mate, but you've made it a "must see" on my list now!
Been hearing mostly good reviews to date of the flick. . .
~Mark
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 01:56 AM UTC
If you want to get to see it on the big screen, or at least bigger than your home TV set, better get while the getting is good. I planned to see it soon after it came out, when it was on the biggest screens, with multiple show times at multiple theaters. When I went to go see it yesterday it was on the smallest screen of the furthers theater in town, and only day time shows. Pretty soon you won't be able to find it I'll bet.
modelbuilder82
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 44 posts
Model Shipwrights: 17 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:55 PM UTC
I saw it the weekend it came out. Its towards the top of my list as far as World War 2 movies go. Its still below Das Boot though. I liked the special effects. They did a good job on those. Most people disliked it because there wasn't enough "action".
 _GOTOTOP