Pier 51 - Update link
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 07:04 PM UTC
Hi guys,

Here's a link to an update on some of the vehicles for the pier. Check out the size of the AA crates lol, lol. throught they would work well for loads and stacked on the pier.

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/90019&page=1

Cheers

Al
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 03:29 PM UTC
Very Nice, Al!

Those trucks look tops, mate, the tarps are quite nice. . .the AA crates looks to be a very good set as well!
"Pier 51" has been a very interesting ride so far, good modeling!
Cheers,
~Gunny
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Model Shipwrights: 69 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 04:43 PM UTC
The tissue covers worked out very well. And yea those boxes are huge. You are movin' on the work. Every time I look you have a TON more done.

You should share a list of research sources you have used. I bet its very lengthy.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 12:10 AM UTC
Hi Gunny and Scott,

Thanks for the feedback. Reference for the Bedfords came from 'Bedford to Berlin and Beyond OL: The Forces Favourite 4 x4 by Robert Coats and a lot of help from fellow modellers aka Mr Roo and Casper to mention but a few.

My list of bookmarked sites is extremely large and I've visited all over to try and get informaion relating to the kits and the setting/time frame. I'm waiting a respons at the moment from Trinity House about Lighthouse colour during WW2 and I'm sure some of the folks I've contacted think I'm mad lol, lol.

Well it's figures, crates and maybe an Austin Tilly over Christmas and then onto the Crane and the Fisherman's Hut. A second goods wagon should complete the major kit builds and then it will be more figures.

The Lighthouse will arrive early March so I will await that before I finalise the layout and start the build proper. I've been sourcing materials and no doubt will be back with many more questions about how to use them lol, lol.

Cheers guys.

Al
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 01:16 AM UTC
Alan, for your canvas covers, do you paint them on the model? I need to redo the ones on my LCC.

Kenny
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 02:15 AM UTC
Hi Kenny,

Yip, cut out the shape, fold it the way you want and dip it in watery PVA (White Glue). Squeeze the excess off and carefully unfold it and place it where you want it. Let it get fairly dry but not solid and paint the outside with a watery colour Khaki or whatevery colour you want.

From there there are two ways you can go. Let it almost dry so that the paint on the outside is dry but the inside still damp, lift it off and paint the underside or let the whole thing set solid and then soak it until you can get it off.

Although a little messy I prefer to paint the underside when it is still damp and then set it back in place. The paint will dry quicker than the glue especially if you water it down and help to strengthen it up.

On a big area like the truck I cut the size a bit bigger as there can be a little shrinkage depending upon how many times you paint it to weather it. You can always trim off any excess.

Also Kenny I fold the Tissue so that it is doubled up, that adds strength to it , and the two halfs will mess together to form one stronger skin.

Once the outside coat is on, providing you keep it damp you can manupilate it in any way you like. If it looks a bit weak add a bit more pain and let it bond together again.

Try a few experiments and you wil soon get the hang of it. Just remember how you folded it before you dipped it into the glue lol, lol.

Hope this helps a bit. It costs nothing so you can play around with it as much as you like. I try to fold it in the same way you would fold the real thing only in small person size lol, lol.

Cheers

Al
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 03:20 AM UTC
I'll give it a go. Think 1/35, think 1/35... :-)

Kenny
 _GOTOTOP