AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 07:28 PM UTC
Greetings all,

Happy hols etc. etc.

Some pictures of some more figures for the pier. All are stil under construction.

1. The two sailors in shirt sleeve order are the MB German Mechanics with Hornet Heads. The WREN is from Hornet, my first metal figure and the 3rd sailor comes from the Tamiya Bren kit and is dress as a member of Combined Ops who were responsible for the Beach Landing Parties and various outher things.

2. These guys are for the illegal party in and around the back of one of the trucks. 2 are from Resicast and the chap sitting down is from Accurate Armour.

3.These two are from Plus Models. They appear to be wearing overalls. I'm not sure about them they seem a bit fat. The chap sitting down will be reading a book and the standing fig shaving. I may not use them and replace them with a couple from Ukltracast.

4. Two mechanics. The one in shirt sleeve order is from Resicast and has very stick like arms and the other is from Accurate Armour. They will probably get used on my M32.

5. 'Dear John' the chap with his head in his hands is a mix of a Tamiya Body and Italeri legs. The second one is a truck driver from Accurate Armour but he doesn't fit the Bedford Cab, well not unless I cut off his feet and ankles. He might work OK comforting his mate.

6. The chap in the truck is the Tamiya Bren Driver, but looking at this pic I need to re-position his arms which I must have moved as they are too high lol, lol. The other fellow id a Commando from CMK but I doubt if I will use him although I could change his head.

Still a lot of fiddly work to do on them and some will find homes else where.

Cheers

Al
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 08:57 PM UTC
impressive array i must say, did you count the amount of figs there will be on Pier 51 already? I didn't even know there was that much British figs available on the market. Good work!
so what is the next step? the water maybe?

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 09:31 PM UTC
Very nice work Alan. Wonderful figures.

Kenny
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 10:02 PM UTC
Hi Jba,

I don't really know the final number of figs I'll use. Their will be some civilian workers/railway men, some GIs, and more women. Some children, ARW and spotters on the Lighthouse and some MPs. Their will have to be a British Bobby, maybe a canteen and some old WRVS ladies giving out tea and cakes, a Lighthouse Keeper/Harbour Master and a fisherman or two. I'd also like an RAF/USAF officer somewhere around.

As I've used 11th armd div markings the time period switches by a couple of days to a post D Day scene and some prisoners might join the throng in the final setting.

Hmmmm, what's next!!! The remaining larger kits yet to be built are the Crane and the Fisherman's Hut plus the 2nd Goods Wagon. Probably the Crane, then the hut and then the goods wagon.

You're very impatient to see some water :-) :-) :-) .

The Lighthouse will arrive in early March and it's not likely that many bricks will get laid on the pier proper before it's arrival as it may effect the final shape slightly and I want to build the top end of the pier and sea wall in the same/similar style as the Lighthouse with the main pier being more a concrete structure.

I want the main kits built before I start on the dio so that there is no cock up on size v space, I'm not building within a time frame and I also have to move accommodation by end February so that's another reason not to rush into the main build proper.

Realistically I hope to have a major part of the constrcution work underway towards the end of next year, I'll need regular breaks to feed my Sherman Fetish and work on other projects that are also in the pipe line. Variety being the spice of life :-) :-) :-)

The large crates are underway and I hope to finish those plus the remaining work on the figures over the Christmas period.

I have another 30 odd Infantry I'm working on for the Nan Red DIo, which will accommodate the original British Boats I built and work to do on farm buildings for my Irish Guards Troop of Tanks.

Come the New year I want to finish my 2 Mk IIs and there should be an Austin Tilly making its way here which could also find its way onto the pier proper.

There is no hurry, it will take time to get all the bits together, painting the Lighthouse will also need to be done. I'll need to experiment with the water to get the right idea of it and that may take a bit of time.

I'll keep you posted as things get done, the figures and their final placement will take some time as there will be sever mini dios with the whole and getting the figures to interact realistically will take a few placements and probably some additions and subtractions to the current stock and planned ones.

Are you doing a feature on your PT boat????? That would be be good.

Have a great Christmas and enjoy the hols.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 10:08 PM UTC
Hi Kenny,

Merry Christmas mate.

Some of them should work in well, the WREN will be on the pier giving a message to the LCM.

How's the LCP R (CC) coming along? Hope the cleats arrive safely. Looking foirward to seeing more on that one.

Oh yes, Jba - add to that list the new ELCO boat and some of the new kits that have arrived on the market or are due out fairly soon and I should be busy for a few years yet :-) :-) :-) :-)

Cheers guys - have a good break.

Al
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 12:16 AM UTC
This is crazy :-)
You forgot another year - the time it should take you to build another room so that you can store the whole diorama!
Should your wishes be granted there should be more allied 1/35 stuff coming out next year you could cram in there, there's sure that daimler Scout car from Bronco, but there could be more..
do you have an idea of the complete size of the whole project? You'll use plaster for the concrete part of the pier itself? it should be the best way, but beware of the weight!
When I think my wife is not so happy my own dio is over 12 inches long and weights nearly a stone..
yes, i will do a feature about my own PT boat (the dio is finished i still have the 2 figs to paint) despite my lack of vocabulary. It might not be for MSW tho' due to elsewhere commitments, but it souldn't be that far away from here!
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Model Shipwrights: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 03:27 AM UTC
So what does it mean when I procrastinate when needing to paint one figure?!?!
Do I send him over to you? :-)
Great work pal
A nice homefront scene showing the huttle and bustle...

Merry Christmas
I'm about to go and eat some Xmas Koala
Back in a day or so
Cheers Brad
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 03:58 AM UTC
Hi Jba,

Another year :-) :-) that's quite possible, two wouldn't be out of the question!!!!

Hi Brad,

Have a good one mate, is that Koala roasted or fried, with or without apple sauce :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Cheers

Al
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2006 - 10:28 PM UTC
They are great Alan

The WREN will add some "colour" to the layout, definetly!
The "Dear John" situation, will also add some drama to the scene
The Bren Carrier driver .... hmm it looks as it is rolling up his sleeve? Was this your idea?
The Commando I would change his head

They are looking great!
Carry on!
Skipper
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 12:25 AM UTC
Hi Skipper,

Thanks for the feedback.

The WREN now has some lippie lol, lol.

The Bren Driver in the back of the truck is just as he comes although I need to change the angle of his right arm as I wanted him leaning on the tail gate.

I'd agree, if I use the commando I'll change his head.

I'll also blacken the cap of the Combined Ops guy as white wouldn't be very tactical lol, lol.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP