_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
Basic Mine Sweeping
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 05:00 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

I believe it is OK to post pics for reference. I came across this one sometime ago on the Imperial War Musum Site.

Can't get more basic that this, but they look much too close to the mine for my liking :-) :-) :-) .

It would make a nice little dio if there was a 1/35 boat and crew around, and of course a mine, or waterline mine hint, hint hint

Cheers

Al
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 05:14 PM UTC
I agree with you Al, this is a real good dio idea. And actually i wondered wether there was any book or internet ressource dealing with mines -everybody knows what they look like but i never came across any plans/blueprints with actual measures...
wouldn't those mines be programmed to explode when there is a certain amount of shock? I mean maybe they would be not sensible enough to blow at the contact of a small raft like this one. Otherwise imagine them explode at the contact of a hering!
Actually i wonder how many whales those nasty things sank..
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 05:39 PM UTC
Morning Jba,

Well actually afternoon now. There were a lot of different types of mine but the two most common were contact mines and magnetic mines.

Contact obviously blew up when you bumpted into them and magnetic were set off by the magnetic field of a ship passing them. There were some unusual ways of protecting against them, and although I don't know much about them ships were rigged with a thick electrical cable all around the hull to fool them. I think I've got that right but not being a technical sort of person may be wrong.

There have been a couple of interesting programmes on the TV about the counter measures they had to employ.

The Germans also dropped parachute mines which were like long cylinders, I cant remember if they were contact mines or just progammed to expolde after a certain time.

It's an interesting subject, but I haven't seen any plans or drawings. Would make a useful AM product both for 1/35 scale and smaller.

The spiky type had anchor chains attached to hold them in position but many broke free and floated around with the tide. For many years there was one one the Pier back home in Bangor, don't know if it is still there now. They are a substantial size when you see them out of the water and would certainly sink a ship.

There are probably a few still floating around the worlds oceans as thousands were laid both by the Germans and the Allies.

Cheers

Al
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 08:43 PM UTC
From what I understand, there were a few American Civil War mines still lurking in Mobile Bay for the longest time. I'm sure that there are several around northern Europe and the south Pacific.

Kenny
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2006 - 09:01 AM UTC
Well thanks for telling of this, but still though they report every month of unexploded bombs found in northern France, I would say corrosion must have gotten the best of WWII mines as I can't remind of any accident concerning those in the past years..
Those dating from the American Civil War must be in a rather sad state too!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2006 - 03:46 PM UTC
Hi jba,

You sure have lots of UXBs in France. They still find the odd one over here, either droped by the Germans or buried by the troops as they pulled out of encampments lol, lol.

There is a golf course where they have discovered lots of granades and shells that someone just buried lol, lol. Whole new concept to a Par 4 :-) :-) :-)

Cheers

Al
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2006 - 11:13 PM UTC
Hi guys!

It would be a wonderfull dio - true!
Now for the good news:
A German Mine (not waterline though) is being produced by Andrea Miniatures in 1/32;
(There used to be an article on SMMLonline.com with british mine designs and way the were laid and worked... (not online anymore - it was on Features!!!)
but it included scale drawings This is not good news, isn't it???)

But I think that John Lambert has some mines (british) scale drawings available

Skipper
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2006 - 11:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys!

It would be a wonderfull dio - true!
Now for the good news:
A German Mine (not waterline though) is being produced by Andrea Miniatures in 1/32;
(There used to be an article on SMMLonline.com with british mine designs and way the were laid and worked... (not online anymore - it was on Features!!!)
but it included scale drawings This is not good news, isn't it???)

But I think that John Lambert has some mines (british) scale drawings available

Skipper

Hey Rui and what about this:
http://smmlonline.com/articles/mines.html
thanks for telling!
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2006 - 11:56 PM UTC
Allô Jean-Bernard!

Oui
That was the one
Thank you

Skipper
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 12:17 AM UTC
Hi guys,

Thanks Jba - bookmarked. Sounds like a job for U Models!!!!!!

A rowing boat and crew would be useful lol, lol.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP