_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Submarines
Topics on submarines of all types and eras.
USS Peto SS-265
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,361 posts
Model Shipwrights: 153 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 08:55 PM UTC
I am trying to find wartime photos of USS Peto . She was built in mantiwoc and sent down the missippi on a barge to New Orleans - then to the Pacific. Jake Laboon served on the Peto as an ensign- many years later the USS Laboon DDG 58 was named after him.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 12:59 AM UTC
Here you go John.

USS Peto

Kenny
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 08:00 PM UTC
Thanks Kenny- I've seen those - the issue is this -

-note the cutdown sail (conning tower). I need a good reference shot in order to start hacking away at a nearly 100.00$ kit - I also need the 5" 25 deck gun note it is aft of the sail. This was going to be an easy conversion Grrr-
Here's the rub- in earler pictures it had the -"as planned" tower and plating on the shears - so either way the kit is wrong - I either add the plating or I cut the sail. It's becoming obvious that although this kit is HUGE it represents only 1 boat - post war Cobia. - bummer

Edited by Skipper:
I couldn't see the image, so here's a link so that everyone can access it
http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/0836014.jpg
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 01:37 AM UTC
Can anyone verify that Peto had a 5" gun aft? If so when was it fitted?- when was her sail cut down? ?
IBSMario
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 09:03 AM UTC
Hi , I was going to model The Peto in 1/72 myself, To do the Peto with the Cut down Gato, It was not pointy. The sail was originally pointy with vent covers in the aft section when it was first built. . When the conning tower was rebuilt and cutdown for the fore AA deck platform , the aft was made round. So for a cut down version Gato you would need to remove a bit from the revell fairwater sides and the front curved piece. The tower fairwater side on Peto also has a smaller section thats taller then the rest of the top lip. I offer versions of a Gato plug thats designed to attach and modify the Revell gatos to the Pointy back EB cut down gatos. But for Peto case , I don't feel its needed. 5" guns I have. Mario

http://ibs.eastcoastarmory.com/
 _GOTOTOP