Topics on building dioramas are grouped here
Help with dio in 1/400
faraujo
Visit this Community
Porto, Portugal
KitMaker: 35 posts
Model Shipwrights: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 02:41 AM UTC
I have buit a U-boat in 1/400 scale and i want to make a dio with a British boat broken like if it was shoot by the submarine and some figures.

My first question: I have some British boats in 1/600 scale and a want your opinion if i can you this or not in this dio, i would like that when you looked at the dio it looked like it was all same scale.

My secound question: i don't have figures in 1/400 scale and i want to know where i can find (shops) ot manufacturers.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 06:57 AM UTC
Olá Filpe!

Bem vindo a bordo do Modelshipwrights!
As for your questions, here are my thoughts:
- Using 1/600 scale ships in a 1/400 scale diorama only if your are making the dio using a box-diorama, where you force the perspective and limit the viewers point of view, making him/her see what you want...
- You can check L'Arsenal - they have a good set of resin 1/350 figurines that look much better than the PE flat ones
Hope this helped
Skipper
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Model Shipwrights: 69 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 06:07 PM UTC
As mentioned if you are going to use a box diorama and 'force' the viewers perspective the two scale can work.
My concern if you don't do a box dio is the size of the diroama in general (regardless of scale mix). To put a sub and a ship on a diorama just after an attack would use a lot of space.

faraujo
Visit this Community
Porto, Portugal
KitMaker: 35 posts
Model Shipwrights: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 06:53 PM UTC
ok, i go use the boat in 1/400 scale too, in your opinion how much is the distance betwen the boat and the submarine for this scale ??
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 07:46 PM UTC
Hi Filipe

A u-boot would never come to close to a sinking ship... but we as modelers can subvert (a little) the distances to our convinience, so I would say that at least 15cm appart of the sinking ship would be convincing enough!
I would suggest that you should get a sheet of paper and work the layout to check positions and distances before making the definitive dio

Hope this helps
Skipper

_GOTOTOP