_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Tips for replicating mesh?
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Model Shipwrights: 141 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 10:15 PM UTC
I need to reproduce this type of mesh:

The flood hole is 35 cm by 25 cm and in my 1/144 scale, the diameter of each of the small 36? holes in that mesh will be roughly 0.2mm. I am not picky about the number of holes or the same diameter, but I would like to recreate the same visual effect. I've thought about buying some 100 mesh brass sheet, but I do not have any close enough stores to drive for a couple of tiny pieces of it. Any ideas to recreate this effect easily? Fill the hole and punch them with some tiny drill or needle maybe?
Thanks!
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 10:31 PM UTC
Maybe old wire mesh screen from a kitchen faucet.

Kenny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 10:50 PM UTC
Hi Ion

I guess you meant mm instead of cm
Kenny's advice is good, and you can try to find those old fashioned metal tea/kitchen filters... they have a fine mesh too. Another option is the same filters in plastic (I can't remember the right name for this thing)

Hope thsi helps
Skipper
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,361 posts
Model Shipwrights: 153 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:06 PM UTC
here's the deal - you have to do something terribly frightening - you have to go to a "fabric" store ask to see the Tulle (pronounced tool) and quickly make your purchase and leave - do not -I repeat do not go to the aisle where they have the craft stuff - that way lies insanity!

No seriously other than it being a "chick" hang out theres a lot of stuff you can get at a basic fabric store - Hancock's or Jo-annes. There is a butt-load of different kinds of tulle and there are all kinds of patterns - one will be perfect for the grill - and the stuff is cheap too!
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 01:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Ion

I guess you meant mm instead of cm
Kenny's advice is good, and you can try to find those old fashioned metal tea/kitchen filters... they have a fine mesh too. Another option is the same filters in plastic (I can't remember the right name for this thing)

Hope thsi helps
Skipper

Rui,
35 by 25 cm is on the real sub. In 1/144 scale this would be about 2.4 mm by 1.74. So the diameter of the tiny holes are ~0.2mm.

I'll stop by some hardware/houseware and chickware stores today. Thanks all!
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 01:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

here's the deal - you have to do something terribly frightening - you have to go to a "fabric" store ask to see the Tulle (pronounced tool) and quickly make your purchase and leave - do not -I repeat do not go to the aisle where they have the craft stuff - that way lies insanity!

No seriously other than it being a "chick" hang out theres a lot of stuff you can get at a basic fabric store - Hancock's or Jo-annes. There is a butt-load of different kinds of tulle and there are all kinds of patterns - one will be perfect for the grill - and the stuff is cheap too!

: ) I actually do hang out in those stores every once in a while (bought all my artistic brushes from there) and I get those dirty looks, but I've gotten used to it. Will stop by again today.
Thanks!
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 01:35 AM UTC
Ahoy Ion,

You may also try the modelrailroad shop in your area.

Many times, tiny accessories and PE photo etch in
HO and N scale, come in very handy, when correcting
a kit......some parts are just to small to scratchbuild.

Cheers,
Joe
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 06:06 AM UTC
Well the trip to the chick store yielded some results (free sample too!):

It's not too precise of a reproduction, but I might end up using it unless I get completely crazy and drill these out myself, or I might just go back and get something with finer holes (then again, smaller holes might be a problem when painting).
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,361 posts
Model Shipwrights: 153 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 07:31 AM UTC
There you go - MAYBE we wont tell everybody you hang out at a "chick" store - lol Glad it worked for you.
 _GOTOTOP