_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Three interesting new items
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 01:07 PM UTC
I came home tonight to find my latest issue of the IPMS Journal had been delivered to my neighbor, who was good enough to drop it by. In it were three interesting news/reviews that I hadn't seen mentioned here.

1 - Squadron/Signal U.S. Navy Floatplanes in Action. This sounds like an excellent crossover book for both Air head guys and floaty types. It apparently has several good shots of catapults, cranes, and aircraft recovery equipment, along with the planes themselves, that would be of interest for the ship modelers.

2 - JBot Decals set for the Gato class boats, including USS Cod, Silversides, Drum, Cobia, and Bowfin, in other words all boats that are preserved today. You can model your Gato to represent a boat you've actually visited. I particularly like the conning tower "scoreboards" for these boats. You can check them out at http://www.jbot.ca/shipssubs/gato.shtml

3 - This, I think, has been mentioned here. The Fine Molds 1/72 Kaiten class Kamikaze mini sub. What's interesting is that is being boxed with a movie tie in to a Japanese movie, Deguchi no Nai Umi, (Sea Without Exit.) Apparently this movie came out in Sept in Japan with it due out in limited release here in the U.S. I doubt it will make it to Colorado Springs, but maybe up in Denver?

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 06:09 PM UTC
I saw those too Rodger. Very interesting. I also see that Revell Germany is releasing a 1/350 Bismarck. Oh boy. Seriously, I wonder what it will look like? Hopefully it will be just as nice and cost much less than Tamiya's.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 06:50 PM UTC
Hi Roger

About the Gato decals, aparently they left out USS Pampanito which btw, was the only Gato I've been on!
As for the Fine-Molds 1/72 Kaiten I is a good model, simple but accurate... it even includes the trolley which makes a good display!

Skipper
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 10:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I also see that Revell Germany is releasing a 1/350 Bismarck. Oh boy)

Oh boy, oh boy, ANOTHER Bismarck! Gee, I can't wait. (The one bad thing about the Internet is that even with emoticons you can't really show sarcasm very well) Oh well, I guess if anybody deserves to do a Bismarck it's the Germans.

Quoted Text

About the Gato decals, aparently they left out USS Pampanito

I was kind of surprised about that too Skip. I thought maybe it was because somebody else had already come out with one?

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 10:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

About the Gato decals, aparently they left out USS Pampanito

I was kind of surprised about that too Skip. I thought maybe it was because somebody else had already come out with one?

[/quote]

Not to my knowledge... But it should be an easy fix compared with the double Oerlikon problem
We'll see, we'll see
Skipper
 _GOTOTOP