_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
NEWS
ROG's Upcoming "Viking Ship"
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 03:39 AM UTC
Ahoy maties!
An advance announcement and details from Revell of Germany , of an interesting release from the days of oars and wind, the "Viking Ship"!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 05:49 AM UTC
Howdy Gunny,

Thx for the heads-up on this one. I have always been fascinated by ancient warships and their design. I guess that's just the flip side of my same facination with all of the very early examples of aircraft/gliders from the 19th century.
I believe this is a re-issue by Revell. And if I remember correctly, it is a fairly sizable ship once built. I'll have to check it out once it makes it's appearance in the LHS shelves.

Tread.

Oh, BTW Gunny, would this ship qualify for the MSCC?.......... ....just pokin' fun pard'
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 03:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy Gunny,

Thx for the heads-up on this one. I have always been fascinated by ancient warships and their design. I guess that's just the flip side of my same facination with all of the very early examples of aircraft/gliders from the 19th century.
I believe this is a re-issue by Revell. And if I remember correctly, it is a fairly sizable ship once built. I'll have to check it out once it makes it's appearance in the LHS shelves.

Tread.

Oh, BTW Gunny, would this ship qualify for the MSCC?.......... ....just pokin' fun pard'

Hey Tread!

Yessir, it is a re-issue, re-tooled for detail and an overall better model subject. . .I agree as well on the ancient warships (how can you NOT love these marvelous vessels?), mate!

And about the MSCC. . .show me the torpedo mount/tubes on 'er, and she's in!

Cheers!
~Gunny
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 07:33 PM UTC
Howdy Gunny,

"...And about the MSCC. . .show me the torpedo mount/tubes on 'er, and she's in! ..."

Hmmmmmmm, let me seeeeee... Having done some reading lately on early North men and their battle techniques, I seem to remember reading somewhere that a far reaching Viking ship had grown weary of suppressing spear and arrow attacks from the nearby shoreline. So, apparently some creative members of the crew rigged up large, oversized crossbows basically on either side of the ship, and placed large diameter tree boughs in their notches, lit the heads of these 'arrows/bolts' which were capped with pitch-covered straw, and sent these 'torpedo's' sailing into the shoreline. Which set the immediate area {dead trees and such} on fire and cleared away the strip of land along the shoreline they traversed.

..................soooooooooooooo....... ??

Warm humourous regards,

Tread.

My apologies in advance my dear Gunny for my continuing inability to leave the 'funny' side of the MSCC 'thing' alone.....
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
Model Shipwrights: 34 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 07:44 PM UTC
Definitely be getting this one to go with the Roman Warship on my shelf.
Is it still a release date of May.
Andy
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 07:47 PM UTC
Yer killin me, Tread. . .

But you know what, mate, you DO have a very valid point there!
Thanks for keeping things on the lighter side, my friend, cuz honestly, that's what it SHOULD be all about. . .FUN!
~Gunny
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 04:32 AM UTC

".....Thanks for keeping things on the lighter side, my friend, cuz honestly, that's what it SHOULD be all about. . .FUN!....."

......couldn't have said it better pard'

Tread.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Model Shipwrights: 80 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 05:58 PM UTC
" Man the oars " ....... " Thems aint oars thems me woife and sister "

Thanks Gunny for the pic., a much neglected subject, ancient war ships.
Kinda partial to the Viking craft myself, although the Roman and Greek biggies are also interesting.
Cheyenne
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 08:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Having done some reading lately on early North men and their battle techniques, I seem to remember reading somewhere that a far reaching Viking ship had grown weary of suppressing spear and arrow attacks from the nearby shoreline. So, apparently some creative members of the crew rigged up large, oversized crossbows basically on either side of the ship, and placed large diameter tree boughs in their notches, lit the heads of these 'arrows/bolts' which were capped with pitch-covered straw, and sent these 'torpedo's' sailing into the shoreline. Which set the immediate area {dead trees and such} on fire and cleared away the strip of land along the shoreline they traversed.

Hmmm, I wonder if this is where the Japanese came up with the idea of the "long lance" torpedo. The IJN did model themselves after what they considered top notch navies. Could the Vikings have been one of them? Hey Tread, were the 21" tree boughs?
 _GOTOTOP