_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
Help with attaching cable on Submarine
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Model Shipwrights: 93 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:06 AM UTC
I'm fairly new to ship building and have a question regarding the rigging/degaussing cables on the Revell 1/72 U Boat. Recently I used fishing line for another sub but I had to tie them to attach and then glued them to stay in place. Can someone here share with me a technique to properly attach rigging or cable on WW2 and modern warships? ALso what is the best line to use?

Thank you and please excuse my ingnorance on the subject...

Gary
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 04:29 PM UTC
Ahoy, Gary!
First off, mate, lets clarify a little somethin' somethin'. . .please don'tever be afraid to ask a question here, bro. . . there isn't one of us here that knows everything,and we all learn something (sometimes daily! ) that we don't know!

And a good question it is! I'm sure you're also going to get various responses to this question, and the best thing to do is to digest them all, then try a couple methods to see which one works best for you,and stick with it. . .I personally have tried lots of ways to rig both ships and subs, and have fallen upon the use of Lycra Thread, which is what the wingnuts use to rig their aeroplanes.
I use good old superglue (with an accelerator) to attach thread to mast, and thread to thread. . .

Fishing line works good too, because it is stiff and easy to glue, and accepts paint well, but I like the looks of the lycra thread in close-up pictures, and it has a bit of elastcity in it, so sagging is non-existent.

Lycra is available at most LHS and online hobby shops as well. . .
Keep Modeling,
~Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunny, please share your suppliers for Lycra thread. Every store I've been to, from craft store to sewing store, no one knows what I'm talking about.

One very confused gator.
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I use good old superglue (with an accelerator) to attach thread to mast, and thread to thread. . .

Fishing line works good too, because it is stiff and easy to glue, and accepts paint well, but I like the looks of the lycra thread in close-up pictures, and it has a bit of elastcity in it, so sagging is non-existent.

Keep Modeling,
~Gunny

Ahoy Gunny,
Can't thank you enough. Great idea and I just purchased some CA (I think it's also called) Superglue so now off to find Lycra.

Thank you very much for your encouragement as well!!!

Gary
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 12:46 AM UTC
Hi Gary

You can also use this instead of the Lycra-thread (btw, can be found at www.whiteensignmodels.com), and Stretched-Sprue:

The good thing is that you have lots of raw material to test and practice, until you reach a good level of stretching
Hope this helps
Skipper
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 02:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You can also use this instead of the Lycra-thread (btw, can be found at www.whiteensignmodels.com)

Thanks Skip!
Gator, do you guys have "Michaels" stores down there in da swamps?. . .that's the cheapest place I've found it here in my area. The same stuff in the LHS is two to three times more $ . . .
Go get some Gator!
~Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 03:28 AM UTC
Yes we have a Michael's. The one place I didn't look. What part of the store?
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 04:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gary

You can also use this instead of the Lycra-thread (btw, can be found at www.whiteensignmodels.com), and Stretched-Sprue:
The good thing is that you have lots of raw material to test and practice, until you reach a good level of stretching
Hope this helps
Skipper

I really appreciate the advice Skipper. However, I was never very successful at the streching sprue thing. I used to do that for antennas for my armor but have found many more suitable replacements since. I do like your diagram as I think it's very discriptive and helpful for people who have never tried to do that.

Thank you kindly!!!

Gary
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 03:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes we have a Michael's. The one place I didn't look. What part of the store?

I've always found it while hanging out in the needlepoint and cross-stich areas!! . . .the things I go through to save a few dollars! :-)
I've only seen it in black and white (ideal for ship rigging!).
Happy hunting, Bro!
~Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 06:08 PM UTC
Cool. I'm going today.
Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 207 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 06:26 PM UTC
One of the guys at our model club showed me a product he just recieved.
He intends to use it a ship rigging and at first glance, looks promising.
It's called "E Z Line" and is is produced and sold by a company called Berkshire Junction. Made of elastic polymer, it has a stretch of 700%. Comes in the colours, white, charcoal, green, rust and rope so you don't have to paint it and 2 sizes, 0.08mm & 0.15mm in 100 ft spools. I'm definately going to try it.

http://berkshirejunction.com/
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 10:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've always found it while hanging out in the needlepoint and cross-stich areas!! . . .the things I go through to save a few dollars!

I think you're making this stuff up. No go at our Michaels, but then again I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. Found a good substitute though, and cheap. $.94 for 90 feet. It's the brass wire out of a set of compact headphones. Super thin stuff. It should work great.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 11:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I've always found it while hanging out in the needlepoint and cross-stich areas!! . . .the things I go through to save a few dollars!

I think you're making this stuff up. No go at our Michaels, but then again I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. Found a good substitute though, and cheap. $.94 for 90 feet. It's the brass wire out of a set of compact headphones. Super thin stuff. It should work great.

Naw, my scaly cajun brother, t'aint makin' nuttin' up! If ye cain't find er in yer area, looky HERE mahn! Look in the "Wemzone" detailing and scratchbuilding section, first item. . .
~Gunny
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 09:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

t'aint makin' nuttin' up! If ye cain't find er in yer area, looky HERE mahn! Look in the "Wemzone" detailing and scratchbuilding section, first item. . .
~Gunny

I'm going to stop by Michaels tomorrow and see if they carry this, otherwise I may order it online.

Thanks again for the info...

Gary
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:10 AM UTC
Well, Michaels didn't have it so if I want Lycra, I'll order it online. From the looks on the faces of the ladies at Michaels I asked about it, you would think I had asked for an alien?! Then they asked what I needed it for and so to entertain my wife, I told them "to rig degaussing cables on my submarine". Man they really went slackjawed!!!

Anyway, I'm guessing the real material for these cables on a U Boat were steel cables, right?

Thanks,
Gary

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, Michaels didn't have it so if I want Lycra, I'll order it online. From the looks on the faces of the ladies at Michaels I asked about it, you would think I had asked for an alien?! Then they asked what I needed it for and so to entertain my wife, I told them "to rig degaussing cables on my submarine". Man they really went slackjawed!!!

Anyway, I'm guessing the real material for these cables on a U Boat were steel cables, right?

Thanks,
Gary

:-) :-)

I know what you mean, mate!
Yes, Gary, steel cables. . .best if done up in black though. . .
~Gunny
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 01:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

steel cables. . .best if done up in black though. . .
~Gunny

Thanks Gunny. Good tip! Now if I can only figure out the actual color for the insulators? In some poorly lit photo, they appeared brownish but it's difficult to see.

Gary
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 10:13 AM UTC
Ahoy Gary,

These insulators were made of ceramic and although available in various
colors, the ones on the u-boat cables would be correctly represented in
a dark brown/black color. They were also seen in a deep bottlegreen color.

Cheers,
Joe
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 09:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

These insulators were made of ceramic and although available in various
colors, the ones on the u-boat cables would be correctly represented in
a dark brown/black color. They were also seen in a deep bottlegreen color.

Ahoy Joe,

Thanks for the very useful info.

Cheers, Gary

_GOTOTOP