_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
Fairwell "Big John"
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 10:59 PM UTC
Well the time has come for the Kennedy to retire.
Not Ted,( I won't say more! :-) ) But the "Jolly Jack, the happiest ship in the fleet" as we use to call her back when I served aboard her. I also will not expand on why we called her that either. :-)

Quoted Text

Carrier John F. Kennedy to be retired March 23
The Virginian-Pilot
© February 9, 2007 | Last updated 7:46 PM Feb. 8

NORFOLK - The aircraft carrier John F. Kennedy will be decommissioned March 23 in a ceremony at the Mayport, Fla., naval station, the Navy's Air Force Atlantic command in Norfolk announced Wednesday.

After nearly 40 years of service, the carrier, named in honor of the 35th president, will be placed in an inactive status and kept at Inactive Ships Maintenance Facility in Philadelphia, the Navy said in a release.

It was built at Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Company, now known as Northrop Grumman Newport News shipyard, and commissioned in 1968.

It will make one more port call before retirement, visiting Boston March 1-5.

Details of the decommissioning ceremony are still being finalized, but dignitaries, including members of Congress, Navy officials and possibly members of the Kennedy family, are expected to attend, the release said.

Sad day for me with this news.
Hopefully she won't be scrapped after her mothball period ends.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 11:54 PM UTC
Farewell to thee, "Jolly Jack!"

Thanks for the story, Dave, I too hope she won't be scrapped. . .
~Gunny
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 03:54 AM UTC
It's sad to see a fine warship laid up in mothballs. I was at Newport, RI a couple of years ago attending my son's OIS graduation, and there are a couple of mothballed carriers across the river there. They really looked "dull" and lifeless compared to the ships I'm used to seeing at the Norfolk Naval Base when I'm there.

Tom
 _GOTOTOP