_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
More flood hole fixing help needed
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Model Shipwrights: 141 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 01:05 PM UTC
I am trying to fix a flood pattern here and I need some ideas.

Here is the subject:

On the left row, I need to have 5, instead of the 6 holes and they should be equally spaced (same row length, same diameter holes, etc, except further appart from each other).

On the right row, I need to eliminate the two small holes and the rest of the holes should be equally spaced.

The only solution I could think of is to cut and replace these pieces with styrene, then drill the holes. Any other easier solution besides leaving it as it is? (which I might do)

BTW, the arrow shows where I would start cutting to replace with styrene.
Thanks!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 05:50 PM UTC
Ahoy, Ion.

I don't see many other alternatives than to cut and paste with the proper styrene replacement. Not impossible, but definitely do-able in a scratch-build sense. . .IMHO, you probably won't be happy if you leave it the way it is, as you will know that there is a problem there (although many others may not! ). . .I think that I would cut the hole pattern first into an oversize piece of styrene (or at least draw the pattern on), then fit the piece into the cut outs of your model. I think it would be easier to get a more true positioning of your holes in this manner.

Really up to you, though, mate! One thing that you CAN do, is to document your updates/changes, and then reproduce them in a PE set for other modelers wishing to accomplish the same thing that you set out...that's exactly what our mates over at U-Brass did, (Dougie Martindale and Wink Grise, both MSW members), and now White Ensign Models produces the kit for them because of such a high demand...good luck, mate, and please keep us updated on your very interesting project!
Cheers,
~Gunny
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 07:42 PM UTC
Thanks a lot, Gunny!
This is still my XXI that I'm trying to get done by the end of DDD2. Technically, I haven't even started it yet since I've been messing with correcting things on it. These two changes should hopefully be the final ones before I start assembling it. The main reason I'm doing so many things on it is because this is the first time I try many techniques and these will be useful when I start hacking into a more expensive kit.

Unfortunately, I don't think this would be worth producing a photo etch kit for since the Revell full hull XXI kit is pretty old and cannot be easily found. I think they re-released it in germany and you can start seeing it in some US online stores, but I haven't seen much interest or many builds based on it. We'll see though.
Thanks again.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 09:29 PM UTC
I think that replacing the sections with new sections is the only way to go. I can't imagine that any sort of filler or putty would allow you to go back and get decent re-drills.

But as Gunny suggested, cut your new hole pattern into a replacement panel and after you've got that right, cut out the section and fit the replacement in.

Tom
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 01:37 AM UTC
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to design the new pattern in CAD, print it on a shipping label, stick it on top of a styrene sheet and drill it based on the printed template... now I just wish replacing these pieces would be just as easy.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to design the new pattern in CAD, print it on a shipping label, stick it on top of a styrene sheet and drill it based on the printed template... now I just wish replacing these pieces would be just as easy.

Hey, mate, that's a great idea!
Keep us posted on your progress, Ion, I really like what you're doing with this oldie but a goody. . .
Keep Modeling!
~Gunny
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 09:46 AM UTC
Well this is mostly an experience building up model, so a lot of things went wrong and some things I tried to fix and at the same time, trying to involve myself in a lot of things I've never done before.

Here is what I'm doing so far:

My first painted figure for my 1/72 Me262 (pictured below) that was also a victim of trials. The figure needs a flat coat and a bit more tweaking.

I have a few more of these guys to paint and the experience should prove useful for my 1/72 VIIC build and the Andrea/Hecker&Goros figures.

This is an attempt at scratchbuilding an interior pressure hull (I will add some piping, exhaust and internal conning tower to it). Most of it won't be seen though because I found out I need to patch up some of the flood holes.

Below is the conning tower undergoing some flood hole deletion and it will need some of the left over holes drilled out after I'm done patching up the others. Luckily, I didn't drill these out first, so there is not that much work to do.

On the left is my first attempt at photo etching (also first attempt at using the etch mate tool). The 3 tiny pieces are attempts at making vents for the side exhausts. I'm getting there... probably will make some good ones on the next try (they need to be a bit wider).

This is the side of the hull that suffered some damage due to drilling out flood holes without thinning it out from the inside. The other side came out MUCH better (notice the holes are not very uniform). I added a styrene square tube inside to add depth to the major flood holes on the bottom side.

This is how the patched up hull looks on the inside right now and it will look worse after replacing the two rear pieces and patching up some other stuff....

That's about it for now....

BTW, for the sake of not going through all the above stuff, I would recommend building this kit just as the U-2540. It would come out pretty accurate with few corrections. I might build it again as the 2540 since I have a second kit.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 04:28 PM UTC
Ahoy, Ion!
Nice Me262, mate!
Depending on how much bench time you have to burn, mate, you should be OK for the end of DDD2 (I'm in the same situation, I had to start a second entry 2/3 into the campaign because of an unfortunate "accident"). . .keep plugging away, and you should prevail!
Thanks for the pic's, and keep em coming!
Cheers,
~Gunny
 _GOTOTOP