_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Creating Ship Dioramas
Topics on building dioramas are grouped here
Inspiration from Historicus - Seagulls!!!
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2007 - 03:58 PM UTC
Greeting all,

Firstly thanks to jba for the heads up on Guy's post on Historicus.

In an idle moment and inspired by his seagull it thought I'd try making a few bodies :-) :-) :-)

I now have seagull pics galore to study, but with some spare milliput last night I moulded a couple of shapes!!!

I haven't seen a seagull for some time but the ones I rememebr were prettyy big birds.

Hope this gives you a good laugh:

First experiment!!

Cheers

Al
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2007 - 11:34 PM UTC
Something odd -After checking in a dictionnary it seems that it's the same word in English for both a "Mouette" (the small sea bird that Guy/Guygantic designed) and a "Goeland" (the kind of huge thing you put a picture of) !

So well, as both are seaguls, yours look like the bigger one allright!
Now last october i spent a few days in St Malo and have a look at this crap pic -well not so crap because it shows the front of the seagul, and look at the way the legs are put, I think that with small wire you could shape those this way

But take care with this kind of seaguls, my mum saw 2 or 3 of them trying to eat a Yorkshire dog a few months back on the coast :-)
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 01:19 AM UTC
I think they look pretty good. You should see some of the ones that follow the Galvestion Island ferry. Rather large and plump.

~Kenny
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 04:04 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

I've seen them in all sizes, big and small, most are fairly big suckers. Size was an issue, but then of course birds grow don' t they??

Anyway, just tle bit of fun for now , I will have to make some sooner or later. This version was just shaped by hand from some left over miliput, both are lacking their wings and tails.

jba wire would work well for the legs. I was thinking a variery of sizes both big and small and what about this:

Now that would be good!!!!

After the Seagulls I suppose it's dead fish!!!! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Cheers

Al

Ps I have the rats!
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Model Shipwrights: 214 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 04:15 AM UTC
I grew up on the west coast of Scotland, near the sea and I remember Gulls well. I believe they're all sea going and can be found far out into the ocean.

The main Gulls I came across were Herring Gulls (smallish) and Black Backed Gulls (generally big and particularly evil) both of whom were pretty aggressive (and potentially murderous) to anything smaller than a sheep. They weren't nice little budgies at all!

Some large adult birds had a five or six foot wingspan and would quite happily attack anything they thought they might get away with. although if they attacked a Terrier thinking it was a lamb.... A very sudden and nasty shock to the bird!

Apparently they make great pets when trained...
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 05:11 AM UTC
Hi Murdo,

How's the form? Hope you're settled in and that things are working out OK?

My memory of them is as being evil buggers too lol, lol. They are not a set size but come in all shapes and sizes. There are many different types and the ocean going ones are large lol, lol.

Nice to know you're around again.

Cheers

AL
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 05:14 PM UTC
Hi Al

Could you please send me your home adress via PM or email?
You'll get a surprise on the mail...
Cheers,
Skipper
modelbuilder82
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 44 posts
Model Shipwrights: 17 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 02:55 AM UTC
They look pretty good for rats with wings. If you need any pictures of them let me know, I can always go out by the dumpster at my apartment and get a few lol :-)
 _GOTOTOP