_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
Birthday Score
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 08:17 AM UTC
I've trained my daughter well. Last week for my birthday she gave a gift card to not only HobbyTown, but also Barnes and Noble. The book I got at B&N is Sweet Pea At War, a History of USS Portland, by William Thomas Genorous Jr. The opening page of the Preface shows the author to be a man after my own heart. He writes...

"Where are all the World War II cruisers? Hardly a coastal city in the United States today does not have some World War II ship as a museum. There are battleships, aircraft carriers, destroyers, submarines, and a host of smaller craft from World War II all up and down the Atlantic, Pacific, and Gulf seaboards, proudly displayed as memorials to the gallant men who sailed in the worldwide fight against fascism.

But nowhere is there a cruiser. Seventy-four cruisers of all types fought in at least one battle during 1941-1945, and yet not a single one survives today. There were two large cruisers, twenty five heavy cruisers, forty-seven light cruisers. But all have been scrapped-no wartime cruiser veteran can visit his old ship or anything like it. "

He then goes onto to telling why he chose USS Portland, the ship he says may have been the greatest cruiser of them all. A sampling of the ships accomplishments...

"Fought in almost every major naval engagement of the Pacific War, sometimes against overwhelming odds, and always came out the victor.

Was the only American ship at all three of the battles that reversed the Japanese victory march across the Pacific. My note, these were Coral Sea, Midway, and Guadalcanal.

Was nearly destroyed once by enemy attack, but was saved by skill of her Captain and crew.

Avoided being hit even once by kamikazes...despite many attacks, again because of the skill of her CO and crew.

Was singled out by Chester Nimitz among all the famous ships in the Pacific Fleet to accept the surrender at Truk...

Finally was knocked out not by a human enemy, none of which ever defeated her, but by Nature's freak storm, and even then here Captain and crew got her home." My note again, and incidentally if they hadn't saved her since my Dad was aboard I probably wouldn't be here to write this.

Anyway it looks like a very good read, and long overdue to honor such a great cruisers.

CRUISERS RULE THE WAVES!

Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 01:13 PM UTC
Enjoy the book, and Happy Birthday.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 04:25 PM UTC
Happy B'Day, Rodge!

Definitely DOES sound like a good read, mate, and I do agree, you have trained your daughter quite well!
Enjoy yer bounty, my friend!
~Gunny
 _GOTOTOP