_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Pier 51 - Proposed Layout and Main Kits
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 06:14 PM UTC
Greeting all,

Some pictures of the proposed layout containing most of the kits built so far. Obviously the Lighthouse, trucks etc will be sitting above the boats so it's hard top convey the concept on a flat board.

One key item still needs to be done before I can think about building the pier and that's the Crane. It's size will determine the run of the pier wall as some steps and a cut back section are also included in the run.

Thanks for all the help and feedback guys, a long way to go yet but it's getting there.

Looking into the harbour

The Pier end and Dog Leg containing the Lighthouse

The Sea Wall end and the slipway with the trucks on the road

looking along the Pier from lands end

The Goods Area

The Fisherman's Hut will be just to the left of the net, you can see the area set aside for it

The LCP (R) will be moored below the Lighthouse

RN Troops occupy the Lighthouse

Some Top Views

I'd say there is at least 6 weeks thinking, kitting out and painting in the Lighthouse lol, lol - but it will be fun.

Cheers

Al
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 06:22 PM UTC
wow, i am speechless -what a work!! i am particularly happy that you decided to play a kind of crowd effect -instead of diluting the whole in a never ending base. now speaking only about dynamics i really like that everything is more or less oblique compared to the base.
But then your plan lacks a volume right now, I suppose the pier will be at some height from the sea -why not trying with for instance Styrofoam to mimic the different heights of the stuff? you see, if the railway part is too high, it could block the vision on some of the ships if you see what i mean..
but hey, impressive to say the least
JB
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 06:55 PM UTC
Hi Alan

As Jean-Baptist mentioned, your Harbour scene looks a very busy one!
I have to agree on the stryrofoam suggestion for you to "play" and see what are the better arrangment for the layout.
One thing that I am happy to see is that this is a real multilevel dio - you have to pay attention to every part, because there's always something happening

Please also remember to include:
1 - some space for raillings - at least near the lighthouse;
2 - railway stoppers/bumpers at the end of the track (it can be as simple as a couple of logs);
3 - at least one sailor lokking at that good looking WREN

Keep us posted and I hope this helped
Skipper
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 08:20 PM UTC
Ahoy Alan!

From the sounds of it, you dio is going to look great! (Not all the photos get past the network security here. ) I will definately be taking a look once I'm home. I can't wait.

Btw...I just received a reference book will several different British landing craft camo.

Kenny
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:10 PM UTC
Hu Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I've played about with the setting of the lighthouse and tthe one that works best is to have the tower facing forward as you look into the harbour, not as it is now. Pic later.

Skipper got points 1, 2 and 3 covered thanks.

Jba, having the boats at low water will mean that from behind only a small amount will be visible but as it has to back up against something that will be the back wall so to speak, so from that view point you will have to look over the wall but ............

I'm working on a pier hight of about 18' in 1/35 which should be about right, the intention was always to have the boats below the pier, but I will play with the levels to see what works best.

Kenny, ah too late for this one but maybe the next!!!!!!!

Thanks for the feedback guys as you can see it will be crowded and busy with each part having something going on but blended into one - I hope

Over the next few weeks I'll try and start working on the interior of the lighthouse and some of the exterior work. FIgures are in the building and I have more crew for the sea road wall and workmen for the crane and goods area. Next up will be the crane and to see how and if it fits the scene, once that's done I can fix the run of the pier and start laying the sea bed. I have a plan for the foundations that might speed the build up but I have to chase up an old contact from days gone by:D ,

I also want to think about nationalaties as it an Allied Home Front dio I may look for some additional figs from other nations that might be milling around or on business and some children and civilians watching the process. There is a lot still to do but I thing the kits work well together although I relaise it's hard to visualise it at different levels.

Cheers

Al
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I also want to think about nationalaties as it an Allied Home Front dio I may look for some additional figs from other nations that might be milling around or on business

mets un français
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:29 PM UTC
I remember two famous quotes from World War 2 about the Yanks in England.

The Brits said that the Yanks were "overpaid, oversexed and over here."

To which the Yanks replied "The Brits are underpaid, undersexed and under Eisenhowser."

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 01:57 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Jba, exactly what i was thinking, a French Officer if I can find an appropriate figure, or Frenchmen working in the docks????

Kenny, noithing much has changed then

Cheers

Al
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 02:01 AM UTC
I never noticed the English girls were neither undersexed or underpaid
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 02:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I never noticed the English girls were neither undersexed or underpaid

Hi Jba, noted for their hospitality!!!

Alternative lighthouse position.

AL
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 04:38 AM UTC
That's going to be a wonderful dio Alan. There's a lot of movement to keep your eye moving from scene to scene. Very nicely done.

Kenny
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 02:15 PM UTC
Hi Kenny,

Thanks for that. Looking forward tomyou're next LC. If you find out anything interesting about British Camo let me know OK.

The LCVP is selling for about £22.00 here at the moment - very tempting !!!!!

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 05:02 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

With the buidlings well underway I though as few pics of the currnet layout might be of use.

Any thoughts or ideas on the position of the crane?

With the Fisherman's Hut needing a smaller area than set aside for it the addition of an AA post on the back wall should now be possible.

Al
 _GOTOTOP