_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
LINK
CAD and CAD Ship Plans
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 03:36 PM UTC
Ahoy, Mates!

Lately, I've been delving a bit deeper into 3D modeling design and construction, and in my journey, have come across a couple of very nice links...one, has FREE ship plans, downloadable in Adobe Acrobat or Illustrator, AutoCad, and CorelDraw, and the other link has FREE shareware CAD software downloads, that are quite good. Scratch-builder?...check 'em out!

Free Ship Plans

Free CAD

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Enjoy!
~Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 09:03 PM UTC
That's a very cool site. Thanks Gunny.

Gator.
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 270 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2007 - 02:55 AM UTC
SCORE! Great find Gunny!
I ran across the free cad page previously and downloaded allycad. I have only used it once, never read any instructions and found it as they claim very intuitive. It supports autocad DWG files and you can even import jpeg. I used it with a jpeg picture to develop a measured scale drawing. Once finished, remove the jpeg pic and you are left with a clean draft.
The problem is it only allows a 150kb dwg file to be imported, as I found out when I grabbed the Missouri off the other site. Anyone have any ideas on how the file can be divided or know of another free ware cad program that will accept larger files?
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2007 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The problem is it only allows a 150kb dwg file to be imported, as I found out when I grabbed the Missouri off the other site. Anyone have any ideas on how the file can be divided or know of another free ware cad program that will accept larger files?

Not at the moment mate, but give me time...I'll see what I can come up with!
Keep Modeling (3D!)
~Gunny
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Model Shipwrights: 25 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 11:10 AM UTC
That's neat! Thanks, but is there any other cad plans on those boats concerning the whole upper structure as well as the hull? Across town they cruise big RC boats and most of them are War ships...I'd love to build one out of foam{hull} and top/cover with balsa{1/2oz glass the rest}, then the upper structure done in balsa only.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 04:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's neat! Thanks, but is there any other cad plans on those boats concerning the whole upper structure as well as the hull? Across town they cruise big RC boats and most of them are War ships...I'd love to build one out of foam{hull} and top/cover with balsa{1/2oz glass the rest}, then the upper structure done in balsa only.

Ahoy, Bob!

At this writing, Bob, couldn't tell ya...I haven't done extensive searching or googling the subject (yet! ) but I will tell you, if you like 3D modeling design, pay heed to the review section here at MSW for a product that will make it easier to develop your own set of plans, for whatever ship type or variant that you may want!
Cheers,
~Gunny
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2007 - 09:37 PM UTC
Thanks gunny. I have afew ebay trinkets on fave watch{nothing new there!}...daves dry dock I think...plans for afew carriers in 100something scale and they have full hull frames templates and top and side views. I have a bunch of woodland scenics foam here from the parkflyer projects that never got used...anything from 1/4" thick up to 4" thick. Also have two sheets of 2" x 4' x 8' insulation foam from home depot. Hmmmm.....
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:06 PM UTC
Here, I'll let you guys look for yourselves-
http://stores.ebay.com/PLANS-N-THINGS_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d999QQftidZ2QQtZkm
If you look to the left of the above page you'll see the full boat plan{yeah, not freebies} and see the list...there's alot of other "stuff" too but you'll want the "boat plans".
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:11 PM UTC
Redshirt, when you get the file, import it to your "MS paint" program and you can "tile" print it, but do realize that this will be in "sheets" of paper to be taped/glued together for the whole pic. Check the "print preview" to see if printing in verticle or horizontal makes a difference in saving paper or better overall view of the pic/file. I did this set up for my 3 and 4 foot wingspan parkflyers as well as the fuse assemlies. Another thought would be to take said file to kinkos and have them print it out on one sheet for whatever they're fee was/is.{no, unfortunately I don't know what that fee is..never did it}.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:18 PM UTC
Oh, FWIW, building out of foam would be fairly easy...you'd take each hull bulkhead and cut it out of the foam{per thickness needed between bulkheads} and tack glue them together to form the hull...then sand the assy to shape or use a foam cutter to remove the majority then sand last bit to shape...viola, one done hull. I did a parkflyer PBY this way with a 46" wingspan and it turned out nice..wish she flew as well though as she wound up in about 6 pieces on her maiden flight.
 _GOTOTOP