These topics dealing with buidling bases and water effects are grouped together
some advice
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:24 PM UTC
Going to try my hand at making water for my 1/700 british destroyer.

i found a bottle of stuff on netmerchants website that makes water,would this stuff be suitable?
http://www.netmerchants.co.uk/product.php/10708/602/

also what paints are the best to use?i want an off white for the wake and a grey/blue for the water.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

karl
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 02:59 PM UTC
Ahoy Karl!
I can honestly say that i have never used that product, but it's worth a try!
Looks to be like a resin based product, as is most ater effect mediums...have you seen this feature here at MSW for making realistic water?

Here

And, there seems to be a like thread already brewing here at MSW, with a great bunch of tips from our mate Joe P., right Here!

There are alot of water making products on the market, and just as many "home grown" techniques from various modelers...how about it mates? Lets share all of our water making techinques here in this thread!
I've had great luck with using resin over a painted base, as well as using acrylics over resin for depth...
~Gunny
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 04:17 PM UTC
Hi mark thanks for the reply.
i might order that stuff and give it a try,just hope i can play about with it and make some small waves.

cheers

karl
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 08:41 PM UTC
Not having used that product I can't say for sure it won't work, but it does mention being for "stream, river & lake effects." In other words smaller, calmer bodies of water than the ocean. If it's what I think it is it may be far too clear, and smooth, for what you're looking for.

I haven't made any water yet but I'm planning on using common wall spackle, I'm not sure what that would be called across the pond. It's something you use to repair holes in walls from the DIY store. Spread out then shaped into waves, then painted in various shades of green, blue, and white.

Anyway that's the plan.

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2007 - 04:41 AM UTC
Ahoy mates!

Well, I use paintable latex caulk. I'll spread it out even on the base and then use a foam brush to sculpt my waves. After the caulk drys, I trace the outline of the hull on the caulk and cut it with a hobby knife. Peel away the caulk where the ship goes, and paint your water. When the paint is dry, I insert the ship and make the bow waves using more caulk. When everything is dry, I put on a couple of coats of Future and it's done.

Kenny
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2007 - 11:52 AM UTC
Kenny you make it sound so easy
 _GOTOTOP