_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
REVIEW
The Monitor vs. the Merrimac
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2007 - 04:34 AM UTC
Mark Smith (Gunny) has been terribly busy and here''s another of his reviews:
this time a new format of telling the story, published by Osprey - Ironclads at War, The Monitor vs. the Merrimac.
Thank you Mark

Enjoy,
Skipper

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2007 - 09:36 AM UTC
Monitor vs Merrimac? That crackling sound you just heard was hundreds of thousands Confederates rolling over in their graves. A sure sign of a naval history geek is if they refer to her as the Merrimac, or the Virginia. I agree though that Monitor vs Merrimac sounds so much better.

Looks like a good book. Thanks for the review.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2007 - 02:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Monitor vs Merrimac? That crackling sound you just heard was hundreds of thousands Confederates rolling over in their graves. A sure sign of a naval history geek is if they refer to her as the Merrimac, or the Virginia. I agree though that Monitor vs Merrimac sounds so much better.

Looks like a good book. Thanks for the review.

Thanks for the good words, Rodge!
Although not a whole lot of modeling help, there is a good amount of history/facts here, and in the format, could very well spark the interest in the younger modelers in our midst...
~Gunny
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2007 - 04:00 PM UTC
Nice review Mark, but I really wonder what kind of target they want to have with this kind of books.
If i was to offer my kid a comic book about American Civil War i wouldn't offer something which amounts to an iota of history, but a more general book.
And then if i am a modeler or an historian, the stuff does seem to lack in substance.
then if i am comic fan, I won't buy that one too because i am sorry, but i think the drawings are so-so..
it reminds me the "great" idea Osprey had a few years back with their p** poor 3d drawings of ships..
until i see it "in real" I stay largely unconvinced.
these are my 2 cents
JB
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2007 - 10:39 PM UTC
Hi all

I tend to agree with Jean-Baptiste, unless this is directed to the younger teens.
It isn't a BD book* - Comics for you Americans and it isn't a real reference book - it isn't meat nor fish, as we say here in Portugal.
As I said in the beggining of the post, unless this is targeted to the younger kids and drew them away from the computer or playstation, and learn how to read a book.

* Me and the Mrs are both BD fans, specially the Francophone (Belgium + France) authors and I can say that this is a bug that has been with me even longer than modeling - still have my first album "Asterix e os Godos" (was 6!)

Sorry for the off-topic
Skipper
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 04:21 AM UTC
Merrimac....humpf. Dang ol' yankees. It was the Virginia. Oh well, like they say, those who win the war write the history. It should be an interesting read. A great naval battle from the War of Northern Aggression.

Gator.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 10:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A great naval battle from the War of Northern Aggression.

Gator.

I grew up in "Southern" California. Am I a Yank, even a half one, or a Reb?

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 11:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

A great naval battle from the War of Northern Aggression.

Gator.

I grew up in "Southern" California. Am I a Yank, even a half one, or a Reb?

Definately a Johnny Reb.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 10:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Definately a Johnny Reb.

Nah, I look much better in Blue than in Gray, plus I much prefer The Battle Hymn of the Republic to The Bonnie Blue Flag.

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2007 - 02:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Definately a Johnny Reb.

Nah, I look much better in Blue than in Gray, plus I much prefer The Battle Hymn of the Republic to The Bonnie Blue Flag.

Damn yankees.

Gator
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2007 - 03:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Damn yankees.

I grew up in Los Angeles, bleeding Dodger Blue. I now root for the home team, the Colorado Rockies, much as it hurts me. You can call me anything you want, but NEVER, EVER, a Yankee.

thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:23 PM UTC
I was about 10 when I first realized that "damn yankees" was actually TWO words!!! My family is orginially from the Hampton Roads area, and I remember my grandmother talking about hearing accounts of the battle from relatives who had walked out to the shore by the family farm and could actually see the battle across the water. She always referred to the period from 1861-1865 as "the late unpleasantness".

Having been taught from childhood that the ship which fought the Monitor was the CSS Virginia, you can imagine my disappointment (along with plenty of others) when the I-664 bridge tunnel from the Peninsula over to Suffolk was OFICIALLY named the Monitor and Merrimac Bridge Tunnel. And THAT by VDOT!!!!

"Popular" history is about the same quality as urban legends in my book.

Tom
AikinutNY
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 683 posts
Model Shipwrights: 21 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Merrimac....humpf. Dang ol' yankees. It was the Virginia. Oh well, like they say, those who win the war write the history. It should be an interesting read. A great naval battle from the War of Northern Aggression.

Gator.

Hey Gator,

The best naval battle of the Civil War had to be Mobile Bay when Capt Buchannon with the ironclad, CSS Tennessee took on Admiral Farraday's fleet. He lost but showed that an ironclad could stand up to wodden ships in a fight, but need to have the steering system better protected.

Anyone know of a model of the CSS Tennesee? "Gosh darn the torpedoes! Full speed a head!"

He should have been the real hero of Mobile, Alabama, instead of the guy who attacked mechant ships and losses when he come up against an equal.

The closest I come to Yankee is rooting for the Boston Red Socks when they play them Yankees.

They really named the bridge, "Monitor and Merrimac"? How stupid!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 01:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They really named the bridge, "Monitor and Merrimac"? How stupid!

There is a line from the movie The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance that says it all. "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 02:58 AM UTC
Jim,

Flagship Models makes a CSS Tennessee in 1/192. Cost is $80.00.
Jasta11
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:39 PM UTC
Merrimac? The damn yankees may have won the chance to re-write history, but geography too? When if ever, did the Mississippi flow through Virginia?
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 03:15 AM UTC
Howdy fellas,

Man, you guys are makin' me feel.......bad. On another thread I was responding and began typing the very words "Monitor vs. Merrimac", and thought, I should be typing "Virginia" instead, but decided to 'keep it simple' for clarity's sake.........now this thread has made me feel guilty I just didn't type what I thought in the first place!

Serves me right.

Tread.

Oh, and to HalfYank. Funny you should mention one of my favourite lines from the movie that is my moniker just about everywhere else than here....'LibertyValance'

_GOTOTOP