_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
USS Intrepid Moves Again
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 - 06:14 PM UTC
Yep, the old girl is being moved from the water to dry-dock today.
Among the numerous jobs being done will be removing her four screws. Two of them will be sold, so if anyone in interested in buying one of these unique collectibles, start saving your nickels and dimes now.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 - 08:12 PM UTC
They are selling her screws? I hope they wind up in some museum, and not melted down to make Toyotas or something.

On the other hand can you imagine how many sets of P.E. one of those puppies would make?
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 - 10:19 PM UTC

Ok I am mad - but not that MAD!!!
Dave, could you imagine the shipping and handling charges on one of those monster screws???
A little off topic, but it seems that all the US Navy ships that I visited while on my trips to US are being restaured/overhauled - this is good!
I just wonder what the Intrepid Museum has done with USS Edson?? Sold it too??

Thanks for shraing this info
Skipper
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 01:58 AM UTC
From what I understand the "Tin Can Sailors Association" who operated and maintained the Edson, had a falling out a few years ago with the Intrepid. What happened after that I have no idea. After losing my volunteer parking spot I stopped volunteering there. It didn't pay me, and cost me too much after paying for the gas and tolls to get there and back home, work an 8 hour day for free fixing up the Flag Bridge, to also have to shell out midtown parking fees. That's when I transfered my a#* to the Ling.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Model Shipwrights: 97 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 04:08 AM UTC
"The Edson served as a museum ship at the Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum in New York City from 30 June 1989 to 2004 when it was replaced by a Concorde airliner. The Wisconsin Naval Ship Association plans to reinstate the Edson as a museum ship berthed in the city of Sheboygan."
 _GOTOTOP