_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Flagship models
AikinutNY
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 683 posts
Model Shipwrights: 21 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 06:04 AM UTC
I am new to the naval modeling arena and would like some comments about the models produced byFlagship in the North-South line of ironclads. Has anyone built these or seen them? What is you opinion of them they seem a little pricey, but what do I know, I am a treadhead.
Gunny
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 02:13 PM UTC
Ahoy, Jim
Welcome aboard, mate!
Nice to see a treadhead onsite, I myself like to model all genres, keeps things interesting!
As far as Flagship Models go, mate, the company has good products, and just like anything else, if you want good, you know you're gonna have to pay for it. . .if Ironclads are you're game, they have a good selection, and the quality is also good. . .Verlinden has some as well, and I do believe Cottage Industry Models has some too. . .you may want to give site-member Kenny "Gator" Loup a shout, he's our resident creole that has done a few more Ironclads than myself.
Keep Modeling,
~Gunny
AikinutNY
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 683 posts
Model Shipwrights: 21 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 05:19 PM UTC
Gunny,

Thanks for the info. I know that quality costs, but I have seen junk sold and bought without finding out how good it was. After I bought the junk, other treadheads said that I should have stayed away. Since I had no warning I wasted my money and now ask lots of question.

Flagship is 1/197 (?) and Verlinden is 1/200 so they are close. I'll have to look for the Cottage Industry Models and see what they have available.

Any one else have any comments?
Gunny
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 05:25 PM UTC
Hey Jim, here's a live link to Cottage Industries website. . .
Click Here!
~Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 07:47 PM UTC
Jim,

I have Cottage Industries 1/72 CSS David that I'm building for the Military Small Carft campaign. It is an excellent kit. I highly recommend. I've also built the Verlinden USS Monitor. Another great kit. I did have to scratch build the roof rafter as the kit part was broken. But it is a great kit none the less. I plan on purchasing Verlinden's Virginia here in the near future.

Gator
 _GOTOTOP